Michael Fonti – Sex offender’s neighbors Fight Back – withhold rent


HILLCREST – Residents at an apartment complex for the disabled say they are going to withhold rent until a registered sex offender is evicted.

“I’m not going to pay one dime, not one penny,” resident Stephanie Soto said yesterday afternoon. “We pay to be safe in our homes. There’s no way we’re going to pay rent for our lives to be in danger.”

Arco Management, the company that runs Eckerson Village, has said in recent weeks that a background check of Michael Fonti by a third-party company failed to reveal his past.

Fonti is a Level 3 sex offender who served prison time after being convicted of abusing a boy.

By law, all permanent registrants on the national and state sex-offender registries are prohibited from living in any properties funded through the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Eckerson Village is such a property.

Fonti – who, like most of the residents of the 23 units, uses a wheelchair – said he just wants to be allowed to live in peace.

“I’ve done nothing wrong. I’m paying the rent,” he said yesterday. “Just let me be, man. I’m not going to bother anyone whatsoever. I promise you that. I promise everybody that.”

But some residents aren’t convinced. In fact, they say that Fonti created a disturbance Saturday night at the complex and that he yelled obscenities and slurs at them.

Fonti yesterday denied the allegation, saying instead that he had been yelling and screaming at his girlfriend because “she was being an idiot.”

Ramapo police confirm they were on the scene for a call involving Fonti but didn’t immediately have details. No arrests were made.

Yesterday, Soto and neighbors Joe Page and Barbara Mangam said they weren’t going to pay any rent to Arco until Fonti was out. They planned to circulate a petition asking other tenants to follow suit.

Mangam, who has lived in Eckerson Village for more than 20 years, said that the entire community should be concerned.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Ransom Cubitt – Defiant Child Molester

“It is distressing to see that you committed that offence and it is even more distressing that the woman would be still willing to have you back with her children there. You are not going to have that opportunity.”

Judge Michael Taylor

A SEX offender banned from having unsupervised access to under-18s has been jailed for secretly moving in with a woman and her three children.

Ransom Cubitt was locked up for a total of 21 months for breaching the terms of a prevention order and failing to notify a change of address.

Judge Michael Taylor told the 36-year-old Middlesbrough man that he will be jailed for longer if he again breaks the conditions of the ruling.

Teesside Crown Court heard that Cubitt was spared prison two years ago for an offence of inciting a child to engage in a sexual act.

Instead of a custodial sentence, he was given a three-year community rehabilitation order and sent on a sex offenders’ programme.

The strict Sexual Offences Prevention Order meant Cubitt was banned from having unsupervised contact with children and had to notify police and probation officials about his living arrangements.

Police went to his last known address last November, but his father said the former bus driver had not been living there for the previous three months.

Cubitt was finally traced ten days later to a home in Middlesbrough where he had been staying with a woman and her three children.

In interview, he said he had simply forgot to notify officials about his change of address, but accepted that he had been left alone with the youngsters.

Defence barrister Brian Russell said that the woman felt let down but would allow Cubitt back into her home because he had got on well with her children.

Judge Taylor told Cubitt: “You find yourself in difficulty today because this court gave you an opportunity in January 2006 . . . to prove yourself in the community.”

The judge said he took the SOPO breach seriously because it was made for a good reason – “because the court thought you posed a danger to children because of your offending”.

He added: “It is distressing to see that you committed that offence and it is even more distressing that the woman would be still willing to have you back with her children there. You are not going to have that opportunity.

“If you breach that order again, I warn you five years is the maximum and the courts will be likely to impose it.”

Cubitt, of Westbourne Road, admitted failing to comply with notification requirements and breaching the SOPO between June and November last year.

Convicted sex offender loses suit challenging residency law

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
….. Sarah Tofte

A convicted sex offender who was forced to move by a state law can’t return home and has no rights to the property because his wife owns it, a judge ruled.

The man, identified in court records as John B. Doe, had filed a lawsuit challenging a state law that prohibits convicted sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of a school, public park or youth program center.

Doe, who was convicted of child seduction in 2000 and released from probation the following year, was forced to move from his home near a church that offers youth programs. He argued that the law violated his rights by unfairly punishing him again.

Judge Thomas Busch of Tippecanoe Superior Court ruled against Doe on Tuesday, noting that the home was owned by Doe’s wife, not Doe, so his property rights were not violated.

Busch also noted similar challenges that had been defeated in other states.

“Under the circumstances, the court finds that injunctive relief forbidding the prosecutor and sheriff from enforcing this law in this case is not in the public interest,” Busch wrote in his 11-page ruling.

Doe’s lawsuit was one of three filed in Tippecanoe County challenging the law that forced 28 offenders in the area to move or be charged with a Class D felony. None of the three has succeeded in court.

Doe’s attorney, Earl McCoy, did not immediately return a message seeking comment left by the Journal & Courier of Lafayette.

13% of all new sex crimes are committed by
registered sex offenders.
Currently registered sex offenders are
one fifth of one percent of the population


0.2% of the population is committing 13%
of all NEW sex crimes
per Sarah Tofte

Outgoing mayor vetoes sex offender ordinance

SCUMBAG POLITICIAN

NASHUA, N.H.—Nashua (New Hampshire)’s mayor is leaving office with a strong statement.
more stories like this

Mayor Bernie Streeter has vetoed an ordinance that would have prevented registered child sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of schools, parks or day-care centers. It applied to convicted sex offenders whose victims were 13 years old or younger.

Nashua’s board of aldermen passed the ordinance last week.

It had been opposed by the New Hampshire Civil Liberties Union and the New Hampshire Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence.

The board would need at least 10 votes to overturn Streeter’s veto. The ordinance passed by a vote of 7 to 6.

A new mayor and a new board are sworn in Sunday.

SCUMBAG POLITICIAN
Published in: on January 3, 2008 at 11:59 pm  Leave a Comment