Jason Newsom – MySpace Predator – From behind Prison Walls

A convicted child molester is reaching out to his victims from behind prison bars.

Jason Newsom, 38, was convicted of sexually abusing four boys at his New Caney wildlife farm several years ago. He was sentenced to twenty years in prison.

Kim’s son was just 15 when he was molested by Newsom. She wants her name kept private to protect her now 20-year-old son.

“I’m not an angry person, but for the first time in my life I wanted someone dead,” she said. “My son went from being a very happy child to having anger issues.”

Newsom isn’t allowed to contact any of his victims, but he has.

But earlier this year, Kim’s family received a letter of apology from Newsom despite signing up for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice’s non-correspondence list. That means she should not be contacted by her son’s attacker ever.

“That’s violating us all over again,” she said. A loophole in the rule allowed Newsom to pull it off by sending the letter to the child’s attorney who forwarded it to the four victims.

As if that weren’t shocking enough, months later Kim discovered Newsom had a profile on http://www.myspace.com operated by a third party.

“This is a fascinating issue and could be a catalyst for change,” said crime victims’ advocate Andy Kahan. “MySpace security can only look through filtration of sex offenders who are registered. Because Newsom is serving time, he doesn’t have to register.”

It’s another loophole, perhaps, one mother hopes will bring change.

“If I can just help one child, that would do a lot of healing for me too,” said Newsom.

The Texas Department of Criminal Justice is investigating the matter. Inmates mail can be opened by prison officials, unless it’s sent to a law enforcement officer, judge, or in this case, an attorney.

MySpace has since removed Newsom’s profile.

Juan Lauderdale – Repeat Sex Offender – Victim sues enabling Apartment


A Galveston County woman has filed suit against a La Marque apartment complex, claiming it was aware one of its employees is a registered sex offender who then allegedly raped her 14-year-old daughter on its premises six months ago.

The mother and daughter, referred to as Jane and Sally Doe respectively in court documents, accuse DJP Holdings LLC, which is doing business as La Mark Apartments, of carelessly hiring and retaining Juan Lauderdale as a resident maintenance worker.

The suit was filed in Galveston County District Court on June 15.

Lauderdale and apartment manager Damien J. Patrick are named co-defendants in the case.

“Defendants DJP Holdings LLC d/b/a La Mark Apartments and Damien J. Patrick knew or should have known of Juan Lauderdale’s dangerous and exploitative propensities as a child sexual abuser, and despite such knowledge, negligently retained (Juan) Lauderdale and failed to warn those coming into contact with him, including minor plaintiff and the minor plaintiff’s family, of (Juan) Lauderdale’s propensities,” the original petition states.

The suit claims that Lauderdale was already on the list of registered sex offenders in connection with the sexual assault of a young girl in 1996 when the apartment management entrusted the La Mark property to his care.

Jane Doe alleges Lauderdale, 32, brutally and repeatedly sexually assaulted her daughter at knifepoint for an unspecified number of hours on Dec. 29, 2008, after he brought the teen to his unit for a tattooing session.

Law enforcement officials in the Bryan-College Station metropolitan area arrested Lauderdale in Somerville a month after the alleged attack.

The suspect was then turned over to Galveston County and indicted on Feb. 28 for aggravated sexual assault with a child and failure to register as a sex offender as a result of the incident.

He remains in the Galveston County Jail.

Consequently, the suit evokes the writ of respondeat superior against the apartment complex and Patrick.

The elder plaintiff insists her daughter was negatively impacted by the encounter with Lauderdale.

“As a direct and proximate result of the sexual assault and the negligent conduct of the defendants, minor plaintiff suffered severe and permanent emotional distress, physical manifestations of emotional distress, embarrassment, loss of self-esteem, and other psychological injuries,” the suit says. “These affects are permanent and will abide with the minor plaintiff for her entire life.”

The plaintiffs seek restitution for the girl’s medical treatment in addition to a jury trial.

Houston attorney Jennifer H. Kahn is representing the plaintiff.

The case has been assigned to Galveston County 122nd District Court Judge John Ellisor.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Gregory Wallen – Repeat Sex Offender – Charged with Child Murder


A Las Vegas man accused of killing a 7-year-old girl in 1994 told a judge Wednesday morning that he is not guilty.

Gregory Wallen, a convicted sex offender, was ordered to be held without bail. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 1.

Wallen was arrested Monday in Pahrump, more than 15 years after the disappearance and slaying of Diana Hernandez. Her body was found in a trash bin near the Sandpiper Apartment complex at Flamingo Road and Maryland Parkway.

Detectives went through a list of registered sex offenders and matched Wallen’s name to the list of volunteers who helped search for Hernandez when she went missing. Police said Wallen’s DNA matched evidence found on the girl’s body.

Wallen had been accused of sexual assault in 1992, but had not been convicted and was not added to the registry until 1999.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Leon L. Laudie – Repeat Sex Offender – Multi-convictions


A 47-year-old twice convicted sex offender could have two separate trials for some of the 31 felony counts he has been charged with.

Leon L. Laudie, W3790 Bray Road, Elkhorn, has been charged with sexual assault of a child, 20 counts of possession of child pornography and 10 counts of being a registered sex offender intentionally photographing a minor.

If Laudie is convicted of the assault count, he will automatically receive a life sentence.

Laudie is accused of assaulting a 4-year-old girl in July 2008 in the town of Bloomfield. He is also accused of photographing the incident, which is where the child pornography charges stem from.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Samuel Huffer – Registered Sex Offender – Directing "Annie"


FREDERICK, MD – A summer production of “Annie” is getting a lot of fanfare – not because of the talent, but because of the play’s director. Turns out he’s a convicted sex offender.

The director, Samuel Huffer, spent 21 months in federal prison for possessing child pornography. He had worked as a drama teacher in Walkersville, but when officials raided his home in 2001, State’s Attorney Charlie Smith says they found pornographic tapes of boys.

“A leopard doesn’t change their spots,” Smith said. “I would think that there should be a moral obligation on these types of programs to notify parents.”

The play is put on by the Frederick Town Players. The community organization didn’t notify parent’s until three weeks into rehearsals.

“I don’t think Sam will harm a child. He certainly was convicted of a serious crime, he served prison time, and fulfilled his probation,” said Rick Weldon, who plays Daddy Warbucks.

There are about 50 people in the cast, and half of them are children. Weldon says Huffer is an exceptional director and the children are not in danger.

He added, “I would never put my personal reputation on the line to be involved in a production that I thought children were going to be at risk. I just wouldn’t have done it.”

Huffer has completed his three years of supervised probation. The State’s Attorney says he is not breaking the law by directing plays.

Joseph Lewis Smith – Facing charges for child molestation – he had child porn too – DUH!

A San Carlos Park man awaiting a state trial for alleged child molestation is now facing federal child pornography charges.

U.S. Marshals nabbed Joseph Lewis Smith, 39, of 18562 Zinnia Road, on Friday, following a Wednesday indictment. Smith is charged with one count of possession of child pornography and one count of receiving images from across state lines.

“I can tell you it’s some of the worst child pornography I’ve ever heard of,” Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney Douglas Malloy said of the case.

At the time of his arrest, Smith was awaiting trial in state court on a felony molestation charge from February. Accused of molesting a girl in his care under the age of 12, he was released on bond the day after his arrest.

With Friday’s arrest, Smith is now back in jail and scheduled for arraignment before a federal judge on Wednesday. A detention hearing at the same time will determine whether he stays in jail or is released.

Malloy said Lee County deputies notified FBI agents about the images during the Sheriff’s Office investigation. Deputies searched Smith’s house at one point, according to the arrest report from February.

According to his federal indictment, Smith received the images from as far back as January 2005. Malloy said they were especially graphic and involved young children.

“Sometimes people think this could be a mistake or a pop-up,” he said. “These are thousands of images.”

The indictment calls for the forfeiture of two computers and a USB drive at Smith’s home.

Smith’s February arrest followed accusations by the child, who was occasionally placed in Smith’s care by her mother. The child told investigators that Smith had her undress to her underware, and that he would massage and touch her buttocks and vagina with his hands and with a vibrator.

As part of Smith’s release, he was told to have no contact with the victim, through e-mail or texting, and he wasn’t allowed within 500 feet of the child’s house. He also surrendered his passport.

If convicted of the state charge, Smith faces a maximum sentence of life in prison. The two federal counts carry a maximum 15 years in federal prison.

Terry Leggio – Life in Prison for trying to hire the deaths of the children he had molested


OMAHA, Neb. — A man who tried to arrange for the slayings of his former girlfriend and her two children has been sentenced to 50 years in prison, said Pottawattamie County Attorney Matt Wilbur.

Terry Leggio was sentenced Monday in Council Bluffs. Leggio is already serving 50 years for a sexual assault conviction. Police said he unknowingly made a deal with an undercover investigator to kill the children – he was convicted of molesting, their mother and an investigator.

Pottawattamie County Attorney Matt Wilbur said the two consecutive sentences will prevent Leggio from seeking parole until Leggio is 102.

Published in: on June 15, 2009 at 11:19 pm  Leave a Comment  

Lewis Harrison – Repeat Sex Offender – Compulsive

A registered sex offender we first told you about months ago is back in trouble again after allegedly exposing himself to children.

Police say Lewis Harrison exposed himself to girls sitting on the front porch of a West Louisville home Sunday night, but it’s far from the first time police have had dealings with him.

Harrison’s record goes back to 1987. He has numerous arrests for indecent exposure, voyeurism and failing to comply with the sex offender registry.

He’s been charged before with pleasuring himself near pools and bus stops, but hasn’t spent much time behind bars for his alleged crimes.

The last time WHAS11 told you about 41-year-old Harrison, he had just been thrown in jail for allegedly pleasuring himself at a school bus stop.

A new victim is now speaking out about Harrison. Two teenage sisters say on Sunday, a stranger parked in the alley across from their home, then pretended to work on his car.

The girls say eventually the man began exposing and pleasuring himself. They called police, who arrested Lewis Harrison on felony charges of first degree indecent exposure, but this was not the first time.

Since 1987, Harrison has been charged repeatedly for sex crimes involving children, the charges include 14 counts of indecent exposure, voyeurism and failing to comply with the sex offender registry.

Police said Harrison had pornography, Vaseline and a camera in his car.

A mother in the complex also said Harrison attempted to abduct her young daughter. According to police reports, Harrison was sitting in his vehicle touching himself while watching small children swimming in Shelby Park pool. When officers took him into custody, he had a picture of his private parts attached to a note with his phone number on it.

Yet Harrison has spent relatively little time behind bars. The sexual abuse charge stemming from September’s arrest is a Class D Felony, punishable by up to 5 years in prison. Yet Harrison pleaded guilty to a lesser charge and was sentenced to probation and time served only 13 days.

Harrison was arrested six months later after passing out in his vehicle with his exposed genitals in his hand.

Harrison is currently being held under a $5,000 full cash bond. He’ll be back in court on the latest charges on June 25th. His trial for another incident in March is scheduled for August.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Vernie Burns – Repeat Sex Offender – Gets Life for being a Repeat Sex Offender

A 42-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man has been sentenced to three consecutive life terms for molesting children.

Vernie Burns will have no chance of parole for 40 years, Wyandotte County Judge J. Dexter Burdette ordered Friday.

Burns was accused of molesting three victims in their home in Kansas City, Kan., a press release from the Wyandotte County district attorney’s office said. In November, a jury convicted Burns of two counts of aggravated criminal sodomy and two counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child.

Burns had been convicted previously in Missouri for molesting an 8-year-old child. Because he is a repeat offender, the judge was able to sentence Burns to the mandatory 40 years.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Graeme Paul Hancock – Repeat Sex Offender "I can’t control myself"

A convicted sex offender wearing an electronic tag told police he could not control his sexual urges when he was caught photographing a naked child at South Bank Parklands yesterday, a court has heard.

Graeme Paul Hancock, 24, described in Brisbane Magistrates Court today as a “serious, dangerous sexual predator”, was arrested about 1.30pm while allegedly using a mobile phone camera to photograph a five year-old girl.

The girl was naked as she played on the shoreline.

It was revealed during a hearing this morning Hancock had a history of committing sexual offences against children and had served time in jail.

Since his release in February, he has been living under a supervision order at a facility at Wacol.

He was charged following his latest arrest with making child exploitation material, possessing child exploitation material and contravening a supervision order.

Sergeant Rebecca McDonald said Hancock told police he couldn’t control himself and if he saw a young girl wearing a skirt he would have to try and look up it.

Sergeant McDonald opposed his release on bail on the grounds he posed a risk of reoffending.

“It would be a great concern for him to go back out into the community and allowed to be a predator to small children.”

Duty lawyer Caroline Hunter said Hancock, who suffers from attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and Aspergers syndrome, wears an ankle bracelet to allow Corrective Services officers to monitor his movements.

Ms Hunter said she understood the Wacol facility in which he lived could tighten Hancock’s supervision restrictions so that he would not be allowed out.

Magistrate Linda Bradford-Morgan adjourned the bail application in order for more information about the facility to be obtained for the court.

A decision about his release will be made on Thursday.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte