Vernie Burns – Repeat Sex Offender – Gets Life for being a Repeat Sex Offender

A 42-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man has been sentenced to three consecutive life terms for molesting children.

Vernie Burns will have no chance of parole for 40 years, Wyandotte County Judge J. Dexter Burdette ordered Friday.

Burns was accused of molesting three victims in their home in Kansas City, Kan., a press release from the Wyandotte County district attorney’s office said. In November, a jury convicted Burns of two counts of aggravated criminal sodomy and two counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child.

Burns had been convicted previously in Missouri for molesting an 8-year-old child. Because he is a repeat offender, the judge was able to sentence Burns to the mandatory 40 years.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

David Harold Earls – Daughter comes forward "He raped me too"


The daughter of David Harold Earls, who received a one-year sentence last month after being convicted of raping a 4-year-old girl, says her father raped her when she was a child.

“He was a monster,” Denise Earls, 43, said Friday. “He got a year sentence. I got a life sentence.”

Attorney General Drew Edmondson said his office is looking into the allegations.

“My investigators have talked to this newly identified victim,” he said. “We’re attempting to determine whether, in all likelihood, the statute of limitations has run on those offenses. But it would be additional information that if there were a trial of this person, Earls, that information may be admissible to show the propensity to commit this kind of crime.

“What I’m asking my office to do is, even if we’re barred from doing whatever Mr. Earls pled to, are there other crimes that he committed against this victim or this victim’s sibling that have not been wrapped up in this plea bargain that might be revived in a new prosecution?” Edmondson said.

Earls, 64, is scheduled to serve just three more months in a county jail and won’t go to prison. The one-year plea bargain took into account the time he was booked and held in jail since Sept. 24, 2008.

As a result, Earls is tentatively scheduled to be released Sept. 24, Pittsburg County jail administrator Missi Eldridge said.

Earls pleaded no contest last month to charges of first-degree rape and forcible sodomy.

As part of a plea bargain, he was sentenced to a year of incarceration and 19 years of a 20-year sentence were suspended.

The May 13 plea bargain and the child’s pretrial court appearance in front of Earls brought national and international outcries, even threats to the district attorney, J.B. Miller, whose assistants agreed to the sentence.

Two state representatives have called for proceedings to oust District Judge Thomas Bartheld, who accepted the plea bargain.

His assistants and the child’s family feared the girl would freeze up during the planned closed circuit testimony, Miller said. That, along with Earls’ age and his terminal cancer led to the plea bargain before the trial began.

Tim Mills, Earls’ attorney, did not return calls for comment.

Denise Earls has established a pleasant life with her husband, daughter and grandchildren, and long ago separated from her father’s family.

So she knew nothing of her father’s criminal case until her estranged mother called this week.

She said her father’s sentence angers her.

“They have computers, they have all kinds of ways to determine that he has family members,” she said. “You would have thought they would have tried to contact me to see if anything happened to me.”

She said she is coming forward in hopes her story eventually will get Earls a longer prison term.

“With the judge and DA, they need to be held accountable for their decisions,” she said.

The inappropriate touching began when she was 8 years old, she said. Her father was divorced from her mother when she was 1 year old, she said. She seldom heard from him, she said.

The Oklahoman typically doesn’t identify rape victims, but Denise Earls said she wants to be identified and share story told.

She said she was living with her mother and grandmother in Blackwell when her father stopped by in 1974 and spent one night in the washroom behind the garage.

She said that’s where he raped her.

Her father told her if she told anyone, she would no longer be allowed to live with her grandmother, she said. So she kept quiet.

“I was too afraid,” she said. “My grandmother was my rock. My grandmother was my savior. She’s the reason I’m a good person today.”

Denise Earls said she confronted her father in 1995, after she’d been married many years.

“He said, ‘I was drunk. I’m sorry. I don’t remember,’” she said.

“I said, ‘I have vivid memories.’”

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Antoine Louis Johnson – MySpace Predator – Updated


There’s new information about a Gwinnett County church volunteer accused of child molestation. Another person has come forward, saying he was a victim.

“During the course of the investigation there was always the possibility of a third victim,” said Gwinnett County Police Corp. David Schiralli. “Through the investigation they determined there was a third victim.”

Gwinnett County police said Antoine Louis Johnson setup a fake profile on MySpace and was posing as a 16-year-old girl. The boy’s mother said the girl, named Kristen, befriended her son on MySpace last summer.

The Dacula mother said she couldn’t be happier Johnson is behind bars. She said the 26-year-old man has been sexually molesting her 13-year-old boy and killed a part of her child.

The boy’s mother said Johnson picked up her son, took him to a vacant home where, she said, Johnson sexually assaulted her son. She said it didn’t stop there. Johnson blackmailed her son into meeting him at least three other times.

Johnson had been volunteering with the youth at Hebron Baptist Church in Dacula the last two years. Administrative Pastor David Baker said Johnson was terminated as soon as they learned of his arrest.

Baker said as of right now, they do not believe there are any alleged victims in their congregation.

As for the alleged victim’s mother, she has a message for parents.

“Watch your children. Make time for it,” she said.

Police said Johnson is being without bond.

Anthony Attrino – Repeat Sex Offender – Creates new 6 year old Victim


A convicted sex offender was arrested Wednesday after police said he had sexual contact with a 6-year-old.

Anthony Attrino, 25, of Utica, was charged with felony predatory sexual assault against a child, said Inv. David Bruce of the Oneida County Child Advocacy Center.

Attrino has been a level-three sex offender since 2005 when he was convicted of abusing a different 6-year-old in Chenango County, police said.

He was arraigned in Utica City Court and sent to the Oneida County jail, police said.

The investigation may yield additional charges, and the case will be forwarded to the Oneida County District Attorney’s Office, police said.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Desmond Laurence Gannon – Repeat Sex Offender – Pedophile Catholic Priest still supported by Church (Naturally)

“At last I can finally speak out.
Not like the dark old days, people are listening now.”

A JUDGE who jailed an elderly former Victorian priest for sex offences against a boy 41 years ago has damned the repeat pedophile offender for his lack of true remorse.

Judge Frank Gucciardo yesterday told the man his absence of contrition “displays a turpitude of character that borders on the scandalous and is offensive to morality and the law”.

Judge Gucciardo said Desmond Gannon’s explanations for his conduct, when interviewed by police last year, betrayed self-delusion and a “lack of understanding of the impact of your behaviour” on his victim.

He told Gannon, 79, that his demeanour in the interview and in a taped conversation with the victim was disturbing but “consistent with your appearance in court, clearly nonchalant and dismissive”. Gannon, prosecuted for the fifth time for offences between 1958 and 1976, pleaded guilty to five counts of indecent assault on a boy aged 11.

From August to September 1968, when Gannon was a priest in Kilmore, he assaulted the boy in a car, on a bush track, in a church and at a pool. Now 51, the man said in a victim impact statement that after the abuses he had felt “broken, old, clumsy, dirty, ugly, guilty, confused, rejected, worthless and scared”.

Judge Gucciardo said it was his view that “the vindication of a victim’s plight in cases of this kind is central to the function of the criminal justice system”.

A psychiatrist reported that Gannon had a perverse psychosexual structure and had made “some progress” by expressing concern for the victim and the gravity of the offences.

But Judge Gucciardo said such progress was not the same as contrition and remorse “unaccompanied by empathy or compassion for the victims but delivered with indignation at your own fate”.

While Gannon posed little risk to the community, the jail sentence “is a recognition of the significance of the wrong inflicted”. Gannon was jailed for 25 months with a minimum term of 14 months.

In a statement to the court, the victim, who is now in his 50s, said he had gone from being a happy boy who wanted to be a policeman, to a delinquent who spent time in jail.

“Father Gannon has succeed in destroying all my hopes and dreams,” he said.

“At last I can finally speak out. Not like the dark old days, people are listening now.”

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

The court heard that despite these convictions, the Catholic church continued to support Gannon by helping to pay his rent.

Kenneth Longsdorff – Repeat Sex Offender – Pedophile is Facing Civil Confinement

WALLA WALLA, Wash. – A trial is set for next Wednesday in Walla Walla Superior Court to determine whether a prison inmate completing a sentence for child molesting should be committed as a sex predator.

The state attorney general’s office says 58-year-old Kenneth Longsdorff is a pedophile. The Walla Walla Union-Bulletin reports he also has a previous conviction for raping three boys.

The civil commitment trial will determine whether he will be locked up indefinitely for treatment at the Special Commitment Center for sex predators on McNeil Island.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Joshua Lawrence – Repeat Sex Offender – Can’t leave kids alone

In January 2007, Boynton Beach police arrested Lawrence after an investigation determined that he molested three children under the age of 12.


A convicted sex offender was arrested Wednesday on Boynton Beach police charges for another child molestation case.

The allegations stem from five years ago and came to light because the victim attempted suicide as a result of the horrid memories.

The victim, 15, pointed to Joshua Lawrence, 23, who befriended the victim in 2004 when he lived near him. Lawrence would use video games to “bribe [the victim] for attention and later on even sex,” Detective Toby Athol wrote in the police report read. The victim was 10 at the time and Lawrence just turned 18, police said.

The victim’s family played games and Lawrence would hide in another room with the boy.

“Lawrence would use this time alone to start molesting,” Athol wrote.

It lasted for six months.

Lawrence was arrested by Boynton Beach police at 12:30 p.m., at a probation office in Pinellas County, where he currently lives, police spokeswoman Stephanie Slater said. Lawrence has been charged with sexual battery on a child under 12 by an offender 18 years of age or older, a capital felony.

In January 2007, Boynton Beach police arrested Lawrence after an investigation determined that he molested three children under the age of 12. He was convicted of lewd, lascivious battery; sex with a victim 12-15 years old in 2008, Slater said.

Lawrence is currently a registered sex offender under state supervision. He will be extradited to Palm Beach County to face the new charges.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Stefan Colmer – Pervert extradited from Israel pleads Guilty

Authorities say a New York City man extradited from Israel to the U.S. has pleaded guilty to charges he repeatedly sodomized two teenage boys.

Brooklyn District Attorney Charles J. Hynes said Tuesday that 32-year-old Stefan Colmer faces up to seven years in prison when he is sentenced on June 30.

Hoping to avoid arrest, Colmer, a computer technician and salesman, fled to Israel and changed his name to David Cohen in February, 2007. Colmer was indicted in May, 2007, on charges of sodomizing the teenagers in Brooklyn between January and May, 2006.

Hynes says Colmer is the first person to be extradited from Israel under a revised treaty that went into effect in January, 2007. He says the crimes Colmer committed were not subject to extradition before the treaty was changed.

He pleaded guilty to eight counts, including endangering the welfare of a child. He’s due to be sentenced June 30 and faces up to seven years in jail.

Curtis Thompson – Repeat Sex Offender – Awaiting Sentence for Murder

CIVIL CONFINEMENT WOULD HAVE SAVED THE WOMAN’S LIFE

A rapist already sentenced to life in prison is scheduled to receive another sentence Wednesday in Seattle for murder.

Forty-five-year-old Curtis Thompson was convicted last month in King County Superior Court of stabbing a woman to death – with a screwdriver – during a sexual attack. It was the third conviction for Thompson for a crime spree in August 2004 that included rape and assaults.

Thompson previously spent time in prison for four rapes, but in 2003 a Seattle jury declined to commit him as a sex predator because he said religion had transformed his life.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Stanley Allen Smith – Brutal Child Rapist can’t get out

Among the roughly 6,500 denizens of the Utah State Prison system, virtually all will be released some day.

A rare few will never get out — those serving “natural life” in correctional parlance, others sentenced to life without parole, and death row inmates.

This week the state Board of Pardons added to that rare group a Box Elder County man convicted of the kidnapping and rape of a 6-year-old Corinne girl 16 years ago.

After his May 9 parole hearing, the full board voted unanimously June 3 for a sentence of natural life for Stanley Allen Smith, 46, meaning he will finish his days in the Utah State Prison, pardons spokesman Jim Hatch said.

Currently about 50 inmates are serving natural life terms ordered by the board, he said, while about 27 have been sentenced to life without parole by judges. Another 10 wait on death row.

After a jury conviction on four first-degree felony charges in the knifepoint abduction of the little girl off her bicycle at a school playground and subsequent rape in his car, Smith was sentenced to consecutive terms of 15 years to life.

That amounted to a total sentence of 60 years to life, later cut back to 15 to life on appeal. The Utah Supreme Count called the sentence likely unconstitutional since it didn’t give pardons officials a chance to even consider Smith’s potential rehabilitation.

The little girl required surgery to her genitalia from the attack, with doctors warning she might never be able to have children.

Family members called it a miracle when the now 22-year-old woman found out in January she was pregnant.

“Another really healing thing for her,” said her mother was going to Smith’s parole hearing.

The process of putting down on paper what she wanted to say to the board and Smith helped her realize she was impacted by the 1993 attack, said the girl’s mother and grandmother, speaking on her behalf.

They said she always claimed she was fine since she had no memory of the attack, completely blocked out of her memory even today.

“The hearing was actually a blessing in disguise because she got to say (to Smith) ‘I’m 22 years old and I cannot go to the grocery store alone and only now have I realized why,'” said her grandmother.

They were amazed to see the hearing officer, Jan Nichols, moved to tears during the hearing in reading the account of the abduction, rape and sodomy. Hearing officers do not by policy comment on hearings or their decisions.

Nichols also became visibly irate at Smith when he claimed only two rape victims in his life, family members said of the hearing, the 1993 case and a prior incident for which he was jailed.

Nichols then noticed that Smith’s five or more other victims, cases uncharged, included his own sister, they said.

Box Elder prosecutors had other rape cases under consideration for Smith at the time, but after his 60 to life sentence, they weren’t pursued since nothing would likely be added to his already heavy sentence.

In 1993, Smith took the 6-year-old to a secluded area 10 miles west of Corinne where he repeatedly sodomized and raped her. He then drove her back to Corinne where neighors found her bloodied and running along a street.

Though traumatized, she was able to describe the attack in enough detail to quickly lead investigators to Smith and his car, which was full of overwhelming physical evidence.

“I’m so excited,” said the victim’s mother of Smith’s sentence.

“It couldn’t be better. He’s right where he should be. … We don’t have to have the fact that he’s going to get out someday looming over our heads. I think there is such a thing as closure.”