Brad R. Gale – Pedophile to waive right in sentencing


A former religious bookstore owner who sexually abused a 15-year-old boy over the course of several years wants to waive his right to be present for sentencing, his attorney said Thursday.

Brad R. Gale was supposed to be sentenced in state court on two counts of aggravated sex abuse of a child, one count of sodomy on a child and one count of forcible sodomy before beginning a federal prison term for possessing pornographic images of his victim. But in July, the U.S. Marshal’s Service unexpectedly moved Gale to a federal prison in North Carolina where he began serving 15 years.

At a review hearing Thursday in 8th District Court, defense attorney Herb Gillespie said Gale, 50, has expressed a willingness to be sentenced without returning to Utah to appear in court. Gillespie said he intends to send Gale an affidavit confirming his desire to waive his right to be present at sentencing.

Duchesne County Attorney Stephen Foote told 8th District Judge John R. Anderson that his office is willing to proceed to sentencing without Gale’s presence.

Anderson noted that his clerk has reported a great deal of public interest in why Gale had not yet been sentenced.

Gale’s arrest in July 2006 on 33 felonies related to sexual abuse of a teenage boy shocked residents of Duchesne County. A well-established businessman, Gale owned bookstores in Roosevelt and Vernal that sold office supplies and titles by LDS authors. He also served on the Roosevelt City Planning and Zoning Board.

The abuse came to light after a Provo man contacted the state Division of Child and Family Services to report that Gale had offered to let him have sex with a teenage boy in 2005. DCFS turned the case over to police who met with Gale and obtained a confession.

County prosecutors dismissed 25 of the 33 counts against Gale in September 2006 when a federal grand jury indicted him on child pornography charges. Gale later pleaded guilty to four of the remaining eight state charges against him.

In the past, Foote has told the Deseret Morning News that the cost — in time, money and manpower — to return Gale to Utah was excessive for the purpose of a brief sentencing hearing. Aside from the options of holding the hearing without Gale or having him returned to Utah, there was also discussion of sentencing Gale on the state charges once his federal prison term ended.

A sentencing hearing in 8th District Court has now been scheduled for April 10.

Published in: on February 18, 2008 at 3:41 pm  Leave a Comment  

Howard Thornton – Receives 3 year sentence in TCAP sting

“He was involved in a situation that there really is no excuse for. There is no way to minimize the need to protect children from themselves . . . and from others who would prey on them.”

The second of 28 men rounded up last year during a televised sting of would-be sexual predators was sentenced Friday to three years in state prison.

Superior Court Judge Barbara Ann Villano imposed the prison term on Howard Thornton III for child-luring related to his online solicitation of a person he thought was a 12-year-old girl, during an undercover probe that was televised last summer on “To Catch a Predator” series on Dateline NBC.

Thornton, 28, a warehouse manager from Danielsville, Pa., and father of 6-year-old twin girls, admitted to Villano on Dec. 10 that he sent e-mails to someone he thought was a 12-year-old girl between March 17 and March 31. The e-mails conveyed that he wanted to meet the girl for sex.

The person with whom Thornton was communicating actually was a decoy from the organization Perverted Justice, which joined forces last year with law enforcement and Dateline NBC to undertake an investigation targeting child predators.

In pleading guilty to child luring, Thornton admitted that on March 31, he traveled to Mantoloking to meet the person he thought was a 12-year-old girl, but turned around before reaching the beach house where they had agreed to have a sexual encounter.

In a letter written by Thornton to the judge and read aloud Friday by his attorney, Thornton said he knew what he was doing was “completely wrong,” and that while en route to the house, he had a change of heart and “I turned around and attempted to return to my family.”

Thornton apologized in the letter, read in court by Deputy Assistant Public Defender Michael Vito, and said that he misses his daughters “more than anything in the world.”

Vito, saying that Thornton received a certificate of achievement from a counseling program for sexual offenders at the Ocean County Jail, asked Villano to impose a sentence of probation and time already served since his arrest on March 31.

“It’s unimaginable the shame he feels for what he’s done,” Vito said of his client.

Assistant Ocean County Prosecutor Hillary Bryce maintained it was Thornton’s fear of getting caught, not a moral breakthrough, that prompted him to turn away from the Mantoloking beach house on the day of his arrest.

“He turned around after seeing officers at that house,” Bryce said.

In his car were condoms, a Web cam and other “troublesome” items, she said.

“The potential harm this kind of activity can cause can not be overstated,” Bryce said, arguing for a five-year prison term to send a message of deterrence to others who would consider similar activities.

Thornton apologized for his behavior and said he wants to continue in counseling.

“I have to say, I have been impressed with his remorse,” Villano said. “I can feel the shame that he communicates. I have been somewhat taken with how deeply shameful he is, how deeply remorseful he is.”

But, Villano added, “He was involved in a situation that there really is no excuse for. There is no way to minimize the need to protect children from themselves . . . and from others who would prey on them.”

Under the sentence Villano imposed, Thornton will be subject to lifetime parole supervision and to the reporting requirements of Megan’s Law.

He was one of 28 people rounded up in the sting. Another of the defendants, Kazuo Akutsu, 37, a salesman from Manhattan was sentenced two weeks ago to three years in prison for attempted sexual assault.

Yet another, Ernest C. Timmons, 33, an Air Force mechanic from Spanaway, Wash., died Sept. 7 of natural causes while in custody.

Charges are pending against 25 others — all accused of using the Internet to set up would-be sexual liaisons with a child and then going to the Mantoloking beach house to carry out the plan.

Instead, each of the defendants was met at the beach house by “To Catch A Predator” host Chris Hansen and police.

Dateline NBC televised the arrests in two segments in July.

Published in: on February 18, 2008 at 3:38 pm  Leave a Comment  

Ex-Jersey City man, N.Y. woman accused in sex attacks on child

Former Jersey City resident Dean Sacco and a New York woman face numerous federal charges concerning the prostitution of a girl and production of child pornography.

The FBI arrested Sacco, 49, and Linda O’Connor, 46, both of Norwich, N.Y., on Feb. 10. They appeared in court in Binghamton last week and pleaded not guilty.

O’Connor is accused of forcing the girl to have sex with Sacco, her landlord, because O’Connor was behind on her rent payments, according to a report in the Press & Sun-Bulletin of Binghamton, N.Y.

As he was being loaded into a police van after Friday’s court appearance, Sacco shouted to reporters that the girl was lying.

“The lady’s not guilty, and I’m not guilty, and the girl’s taking everybody on one heck of an incredible ride,” Sacco yelled to television cameras from Binghamton’s WBNG. “So she’s lying? Yes, for what reasons I don’t know.”

Sacco is accused of buying a child for sex, sex trafficking of a child, producing child pornography, driving over state lines to have sex with a minor and possessing child pornography. O’Connor is accused of selling a child for sex, sex trafficking, two counts of producing child pornography and one count of possessing child pornography.

If convicted on all counts, the pair face up to life in prison.

An investigation was launched into Sacco and O’Connor when the girl, now 14 and in foster care, asked a teacher, “If someone older is having sex with someone younger, is it the younger person’s fault?”

The girl later told federal officials Sacco began having sex with her in August 2006, when she was 12.

The girl’s relationship to O’Connor is being withheld to preserve the girl’s identity. O’Connor rented an apartment in Norwich from Sacco beginning in August 2006, according to the Press & Sun-Bulletin.

The girl described several occasions in which O’Connor allegedly sent her to Sacco for sex, including as a means of paying back rent she owed him for her apartment in his Norwich building. She told police Sacco threatened to kill her if she did not comply.

“Dean told me he was going to stab me and that while I was dying, he was going to slowly rape me,” the girl told investigators, the Press & Sun-Bulletin reported.

In the transcript, the victim also told FBI agents O’Connor would take pictures while Sacco raped her.

She would then put the camera down and get involved, the girl said.

She also said that on two other occasions, O’Connor drove her to a hotel in Johnson City, N.Y., where she had sex with strangers after they paid O’Connor. The girl said one man paid $150; she didn’t know how much the other man paid, the Press & Sun-Bulletin reported.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Miroslav Lovric of the Northern District of New York told the Jersey Journal investigators are trying to identify and track down those men.

Published in: on February 18, 2008 at 6:26 am  Leave a Comment  

Mark J. LaPerle – Most Wanted – Captured


A man who was on the state’s “Top 10 Most Wanted Sex Offender List” for two years was arrested in California, the Massachusetts State Police said Friday night.

Mark J. LaPerle, 50, is classified as a high-risk, level 3 sex offender with an outstanding arrest warrant, police said.

Laperle was arrested in San Diego Friday afternoon by local police after being tracked there by the State Police Fugitive Unit.

Laperle had been convicted of four counts of rape of a child under the age of 16 in 1992, and was wanted for failure to register.

LaPerle was arrested without incident, and is being held by the San Diego Police Department pending proceedings to return him to Massachusetts.

Published in: on February 16, 2008 at 3:19 pm  Leave a Comment  

Mark J. LaPerle – Most Wanted – Captured


A man who was on the state’s “Top 10 Most Wanted Sex Offender List” for two years was arrested in California, the Massachusetts State Police said Friday night.

Mark J. LaPerle, 50, is classified as a high-risk, level 3 sex offender with an outstanding arrest warrant, police said.

Laperle was arrested in San Diego Friday afternoon by local police after being tracked there by the State Police Fugitive Unit.

Laperle had been convicted of four counts of rape of a child under the age of 16 in 1992, and was wanted for failure to register.

LaPerle was arrested without incident, and is being held by the San Diego Police Department pending proceedings to return him to Massachusetts.

Published in: on February 16, 2008 at 3:19 pm  Leave a Comment  

Jason Lambert – Repeat Sex Offender

Sarah Tofte of the Human Rights Watch says 25% of all sex offenders
re-offend within 15 years

Lambert was convicted in 1998 of the rape and sexual abuse of a
three year old boy


A registered sex offender is back behind bars in Northern Kentucky after police accuse him of molesting a teenage boy.

37 year old Jason Lambert of Florence was arrested early this morning and charged with eight counts of Sodomy. Police say Lamber molested a 13 year old boy at his home on Ridgeview Drive last month.

Bond was set for $250,000 for Lambert this morning. He now faces an additional 40 to 80 years in prison if he’s convicted on these new charges.

Lambert was convicted in 1998 of the rape and sexual abuse of a three year old boy and is a lifetime registered sex offender.

Jason Lambert – Repeat Sex Offender

Sarah Tofte of the Human Rights Watch says 25% of all sex offenders
re-offend within 15 years

Lambert was convicted in 1998 of the rape and sexual abuse of a
three year old boy


A registered sex offender is back behind bars in Northern Kentucky after police accuse him of molesting a teenage boy.

37 year old Jason Lambert of Florence was arrested early this morning and charged with eight counts of Sodomy. Police say Lamber molested a 13 year old boy at his home on Ridgeview Drive last month.

Bond was set for $250,000 for Lambert this morning. He now faces an additional 40 to 80 years in prison if he’s convicted on these new charges.

Lambert was convicted in 1998 of the rape and sexual abuse of a three year old boy and is a lifetime registered sex offender.

Timothy Caylor – Repeat Sex Offender

Sarah Tofte of the Human Rights Watch says that 25% of all sex offenders
re-offend within 15 years


Timothy Caylor, 35, of Dry Ridge was ordered by the Campbell County District Court to serve 90 days in jail and two years probation after pleading guilty in two cases of harassing communications.

The Fort Thomas Police Department and Campbell County Police Department charged Caylor in January after receiving complaints that he had been calling two young girls’ cell phones repeatedly, said Lt. Mark Dill of Fort Thomas.

Caylor is a registered sex offender who was charged with two counts of sexual abuse against an 8-year-old girl in 2000.

Dill said through an interview with Caylor, police found that he was calling random cell phone numbers with a 307 exchange and said he was just “looking for someone to talk to.”

In Fort Thomas, he called a 12-year-old girl 26 times within two weeks, even after being asked to stop, Dill said.

In Campbell County’s case, which occurred in Bellevue, Caylor called a 10-year-old girl 14 times in a three to four day period, said Detective Tom Nitschke.

Nitschke said the girl’s parents contacted the police about the calls, which he was able to trace back to Caylor.

Nitschke said Caylor was targeting girls from approximately ages 8 to 12, and asked the girls questions including if they wanted to hear him urinate, if they had a boyfriend and if they wore knee-high socks.

“It’s just every parent’s worst nightmare,” Nitschke said.

After filing charges against Caylor, Grant County Police arrested him Jan. 9, Nitschke said.

As part of his sentence, Caylor must now call the Campbell County police anytime he is going somewhere in Campbell County, and tell them where he is going, when he is going and why he is going there, Dill said.

While only two girls came forward, Dill said there are probably other victims out there throughout the county.

Dill said it is important that parents whose young children have cell phones make sure they monitor the calls coming into the phones and investigate the origin of any unknown calls.

Published in: on February 15, 2008 at 6:30 pm  Leave a Comment  

Timothy Caylor – Repeat Sex Offender

Sarah Tofte of the Human Rights Watch says that 25% of all sex offenders
re-offend within 15 years


Timothy Caylor, 35, of Dry Ridge was ordered by the Campbell County District Court to serve 90 days in jail and two years probation after pleading guilty in two cases of harassing communications.

The Fort Thomas Police Department and Campbell County Police Department charged Caylor in January after receiving complaints that he had been calling two young girls’ cell phones repeatedly, said Lt. Mark Dill of Fort Thomas.

Caylor is a registered sex offender who was charged with two counts of sexual abuse against an 8-year-old girl in 2000.

Dill said through an interview with Caylor, police found that he was calling random cell phone numbers with a 307 exchange and said he was just “looking for someone to talk to.”

In Fort Thomas, he called a 12-year-old girl 26 times within two weeks, even after being asked to stop, Dill said.

In Campbell County’s case, which occurred in Bellevue, Caylor called a 10-year-old girl 14 times in a three to four day period, said Detective Tom Nitschke.

Nitschke said the girl’s parents contacted the police about the calls, which he was able to trace back to Caylor.

Nitschke said Caylor was targeting girls from approximately ages 8 to 12, and asked the girls questions including if they wanted to hear him urinate, if they had a boyfriend and if they wore knee-high socks.

“It’s just every parent’s worst nightmare,” Nitschke said.

After filing charges against Caylor, Grant County Police arrested him Jan. 9, Nitschke said.

As part of his sentence, Caylor must now call the Campbell County police anytime he is going somewhere in Campbell County, and tell them where he is going, when he is going and why he is going there, Dill said.

While only two girls came forward, Dill said there are probably other victims out there throughout the county.

Dill said it is important that parents whose young children have cell phones make sure they monitor the calls coming into the phones and investigate the origin of any unknown calls.

Published in: on February 15, 2008 at 6:30 pm  Leave a Comment  

Rev. Timothy Brumit – English Teacher – Internet Predator

A South Carolina man accused of sending child pornography over the internet to an undercover officer was indicted in a federal court in Virginia Thursday.

Rev. Timothy Brumit, 47, was indicted with enticement of a minor and transportation of child pornography.

Back in January, Brumit was charged in a federal court in Columbia with distributing child pornography and enticing a juvenile.

Brumit lives and works in the Lexington County area, but because the crime happened across state lines, it’s being handled by federal authorities.

FBI agents say that on January 2, Brumit sent explicit photos to an undercover officer in Virginia who was posing as an underage boy as part of an internet predator sting. Prosecutors also say he tried to entice the ‘boy’ to come live with him in South Carolina.

Assistant U.S. attorney Dean Eichelberger says they recovered roughly 12,000 visual images and 400 video images.

Brumit could face 20 years in prison for the child pornography charge and up to life in prison for sexual activity over the internet.

He’s due back in a Virginia courtroom on February 22nd.

Brumit has worked as an English teacher at Batesburg-Leesville High School for the last six months. Lexington School District Three officials say Brumit is now on administrative leave.

The district says so far, there is no evidence that Brumit had inappropriate contact with any of his students.

Anyone who has any more information in this case should contact the school district’s Safe School Helpline at 1-800-418-6423 or http://www.safeschoolhelpline.com.

People should also call Crimestoppers at 1-888-559-TIPS. In both cases, information is anonymous.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.