Eric Julian – Repeat Sex Offender – Takes a plea

A convicted sex offender, accused of trying to rape a 16-year-old girl as she walked to her Fairfield home from school last year, was sentenced Monday to 18 months in prison.

Eric Julian, 26, of Crimson Lane, Fairfield, pleaded guilty under the Alford Doctrine to first-degree unlawful restraint and violation of probation under a plea bargain.

He was sentenced by Superior Court Judge John Kavanewsky to five years in prison, suspended after he serves 18 months, followed by four years probation. The judge also ordered Julian to be monitored electronically during his probation, register as a sex offender and have no more contact with the girl.

Julian was out of prison only two months after serving time in a case in which he was accused of kidnapping and raping two women, when police said he attacked the Fairfield girl.

Standing at the defense table with a full beard and long black hair falling about his orange prison jumpsuit, Julian told the judge he understood his guilty plea in the case.

“There is a risk I will be found guilty,” he added.

A plea filed under the Alford Doctrine means the defendant doesn’t admit guilt, but concedes he could be found guilty of the charges and face a more severe sentence if he went to trial. The judge then finds him guilty.

Julian initially faced charges of second-degree kidnapping and third-degree sexual assault.

Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Howard Stein told the judge he agreed to enter into a plea bargain after discussing the case with the girl’s father, who sat in the front row of the spectators’ section of the courtroom during the proceedings.

“It is a close call on whether the state would ultimately prove this case at trial,” Stein told the judge. “I discussed this with the victim’s father and he was concerned about his daughter coming into court and having to confront Mr. Julian.” The victim’s father told the judge that he agreed with the plea bargain.

“This was a disposition that was reached after a great deal of discussion of the parties and I urge your honor to accept it,” added Julian’s lawyer, Gary Mastronardi.

Last Sept. 9, Julian was released from prison after serving a five-year prison term on kidnapping charges. He had initially been accused of raping two women on separate occasions after picking them up in his truck in Bridgeport. Sexual assault charges were later dropped, however, when the victims refused to testify against him.

In the latest case, a 16-year-old Fairfield girl was walking home from Fairfield Ludlowe High School last Nov. 14 when she was confronted by Julian, who put a hand over her mouth to prevent her from screaming. police said. Julian then dragged the girl into a rear yard, and threatened the girl, saying that he had a knife.

Police said Julian pushed the girl to the ground and began to remove her pants. When she resisted, police said, Julian began choking her.

The girl managed to cry for help, and police said Julian got worried and ran off. The girl then called her mother.

Police said they searched the area, but did not find the suspect although witnesses recalled seeing a man run through the area.

A few days later, however, police said they received a phone call from a woman who claimed she had been the victim of a sexual assault by Julian in 2002 and was concerned he could be the man being sought. Police said they later showed photos to the 16-year-old and she picked out Julian’s photo as the man who had attacked her.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Anthony Phillips Denton – Minister Baby Raper pleads guilty


A former minister of a Fayetteville church pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges he molested young girls who attended his church 30 year ago, authorities said.

Anthony Phillips Denton, 56, who now lives in Jacksonville, Fla., pleaded guilty to 13 counts of taking indecent liberties with a child. The charges stem from incidents involving three girls between 1977 and 1981, when Denton was music minister at Berean Baptist Church.

Denton also entered an Alford plea to three counts of taking indecent liberties with a child. An Alford plea allows a defendant to avoid admitting guilt while acknowledging there is enough evidence to convict him.

As part of a plea agreement, he received three three-year prison sentences, which were suspended to probation. He also must register as a sex offende

Published in: on November 6, 2008 at 8:54 am  Leave a Comment  

Anthony Phillips Denton – Minister Baby Raper pleads guilty


A former minister of a Fayetteville church pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges he molested young girls who attended his church 30 year ago, authorities said.

Anthony Phillips Denton, 56, who now lives in Jacksonville, Fla., pleaded guilty to 13 counts of taking indecent liberties with a child. The charges stem from incidents involving three girls between 1977 and 1981, when Denton was music minister at Berean Baptist Church.

Denton also entered an Alford plea to three counts of taking indecent liberties with a child. An Alford plea allows a defendant to avoid admitting guilt while acknowledging there is enough evidence to convict him.

As part of a plea agreement, he received three three-year prison sentences, which were suspended to probation. He also must register as a sex offende

Published in: on November 6, 2008 at 8:54 am  Leave a Comment  

Michael Lynn Rosier – New Charges for Baby Raper


Three new sexual child abuse charges have been filed against a Piedmont man already awaiting sentencing in a similar case heard last week in Mineral County Circuit Court.

Michael Lynn Rosier, 43, was served an arrest warrant Monday by the Mineral County Sheriff’s Department.

Following a bond hearing, Rosier remained jailed Tuesday in the Potomac Highlands Regional Jail in lieu of $75,000 bond.

The charges stemmed from alleged offenses that occurred in April 2007 involving three victims ages 9 to 11. The investigation was conducted by the Piedmont Police Department.

The arrest was made as a court-ordered, presentencing investigation was being conducted by the Department of Parole and Probation.

In the previous case, Rosier entered an Alford plea to two counts of first-degree sexual abuse and one count of second-degree sexual abuse.

The Alford plea is one in which the defendant does not admit guilt but acknowledges that sufficient evidence exists that could result in a conviction.

Rosier is facing a prison sentence of 20 to 75 years in last week’s case heard in circuit court by Judge Andrew Frye.

Frye placed Rosier on house arrest pending sentencing. The house arrest incarceration was revoked Monday when Mineral County Magistrate Sue Roby set his bond at $75,000 as a result of the new charges — a bond of $25,000 for each victim.

Piedmont Police also conducted the first investigation that led to Rosier’s arrest in December. The victims in that case were girls ranging from ages 11 to 16.

Mineral County Prosecutor Lynn Nelson said Tuesday that one of the victims in the new charges was also involved in the previous case against Rosier.

All three victims involved in the new case against Rosier came forward to police after Rosier appeared in court last week, Nelson said.

Michael Lynn Rosier – New Charges for Baby Raper


Three new sexual child abuse charges have been filed against a Piedmont man already awaiting sentencing in a similar case heard last week in Mineral County Circuit Court.

Michael Lynn Rosier, 43, was served an arrest warrant Monday by the Mineral County Sheriff’s Department.

Following a bond hearing, Rosier remained jailed Tuesday in the Potomac Highlands Regional Jail in lieu of $75,000 bond.

The charges stemmed from alleged offenses that occurred in April 2007 involving three victims ages 9 to 11. The investigation was conducted by the Piedmont Police Department.

The arrest was made as a court-ordered, presentencing investigation was being conducted by the Department of Parole and Probation.

In the previous case, Rosier entered an Alford plea to two counts of first-degree sexual abuse and one count of second-degree sexual abuse.

The Alford plea is one in which the defendant does not admit guilt but acknowledges that sufficient evidence exists that could result in a conviction.

Rosier is facing a prison sentence of 20 to 75 years in last week’s case heard in circuit court by Judge Andrew Frye.

Frye placed Rosier on house arrest pending sentencing. The house arrest incarceration was revoked Monday when Mineral County Magistrate Sue Roby set his bond at $75,000 as a result of the new charges — a bond of $25,000 for each victim.

Piedmont Police also conducted the first investigation that led to Rosier’s arrest in December. The victims in that case were girls ranging from ages 11 to 16.

Mineral County Prosecutor Lynn Nelson said Tuesday that one of the victims in the new charges was also involved in the previous case against Rosier.

All three victims involved in the new case against Rosier came forward to police after Rosier appeared in court last week, Nelson said.

Gregory Dean Burton – Pedophile Monster cops a plea

A Bedford County Circuit Court judge convicted 36-year-old Gregory Dean Burton of 13 counts of forcible sodomy and one count of aggravated sexual battery this morning for sexually molesting six children over a period of five years.

Burton, a Bedford County resident, entered an Alford plea to those charges this morning, said Assistant Bedford County Commonwealth’s Attorney Wes Nance. An Alford plea means Burton technically does not admit guilt but chooses not to risk a trial by jury.

The victims, four girls and two boys, were usually age 10 or under when Burton abused them, Nance said. The charges cover a time period from 2002 to July 2007, the prosecutor said.

Burton was arrested last August after an 11-year-old boy whom he had victimized observed him acting inappropriately toward younger children. The boy decided he wanted to put stop to the behavior and told a family member what had happened to him. Burton at first denied everything when questioned by investigators but later admitted to some of the acts he was accused of, Nance said.

At Burton’s sentencing, scheduled for Sept. 30, he faces a maximum possible punishment of 13 life sentences plus 20 years.