Edward D. Scott – Repeat Sex Offender – Takes Plea

A repeat sex offender was sentenced Friday to 15 years in state prison for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl inside a Millville home.

Edward D. Scott, a former Millville resident, entered the East Oak Street home where the teenage victim was sleeping about 3:30 a.m. April 26, 2006, and stabbed and sexually assaulted her, authorities said.

The girl was hospitalized and received more than 60 stitches to close stabbing and slashing wounds.

Scott, now 43, was on the run for six days following the crime. Police said they captured him after he broke the window of a van on West McNeal Street owned by his ex-girlfriend.

The victim saw Scott running away and called police, authorities said. Officers arrested him a few hours later at the Economy Inn on North 2nd Street.

Scott in January pleaded guilty in state Superior Court to a first-degree count of aggravated sexual assault, said Cumberland County Prosecutor Ronald J. Casella. In exchange for his plea, other charges — including weapons offenses and failure to register as a sex offender — were dropped, the prosecutor said Friday.

Casella said Scott must serve 85 percent of his sentence — or about 13 years — before he can be eligible for parole.

Upon his release, Scott will be subject to lifetime parole supervision.

The prosecutor said it was unclear whether Scott knew the victim but said he believed Scott knew other people living in the Oak Street home.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

7 arrested in large Child Pornography Ring


State Police and the Oneida County District Attorney on Wednesday announced the largest ever undercover child pornography bust in the county.

The D.A.’s office, Child Advocacy Center, Utica, Rome and State Police worked on the investigation.

It was back in January that State Police first approached the D.A.’s office. Since then, investigators have spent days viewing graphic computer images that would force most to turn away from their monitor.

“You have to compartmentalize it and it’s a very rewarding job when we can lock somebody up that’s a purveyor of this stuff so that’s how I deal with it,” says veteran State Police Investigator Al Cordary.

Police went out last week with eight search warrants and came back with seven suspects:

*Stephen M. Deprospero, 35, of Rome;
*Shawn R. Gouse, 33, or Rome;
*Mathew R. Specht, 20, of Westmoreland;
*Rocco L. Ambrose III, 27, of Rome;
*James M. Gheen, 20, of Whitesboro;
*Brian R. Ingham, 22, of Rome
*David W. Saville, 24, of Rome.

Police say none represent cases where someone accidentally downloaded one or two obscene images.

“There’s not one or two movies; not one or two still photos that these perverts are looking at; it’s in excess of hundreds that they’re actually viewing at any given time on any given day,” says State Police Captain Francis Coots.

Oneida County District Attorney Scott McNamara says these cases don’t involve 15-year-olds who look 25 years old.

“All of the cases we investigated involved infants to children that are approximately 12 years old. This is a situation where the children in these videos are pre-puberty children. There is absolutely no question that these are children,” says McNamara.

McNamara couldn’t elaborate on exactly how the investigative team was lead to the seven suspects; just that it involved investigators working in an undercover capacity. He says there is no reason to believe any of the images were generated locally or involved local children.

The seven suspects under arrest face charges of possessing or promoting the sexual performance of a child. The crime carries up to four years in prison on conviction, but there is not mandatory prison time for the crime on a first offense. That is why Oneida County prosecutors are attempting to prosecute the case federally–where punishments are more severe. They are already in contact with the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

All but two of the men charged have posted bail and are out of jail.

The investigation is continuing. More arrests and charges are possible.

Patrick Prince – Child Pornography Charges


After a 2-year-long investigation, police arrested a local man Thursday on charges he possessed pictures depicting child pornography on his computer.

Patrick Prince, 48, of 38 Pine St. Apt. 3, now faces a federal charge of possession of child pornography after being indicted on Wednesday and arrested Thursday. He was arraigned in federal court in Concord Friday and released on a conditional release. Rochester Police Lt. Anthony Triano said Prince can have no contact with children and cannot possess computer equipment of any kind as conditions of his release.

Police began investigating the case in October 2007, when they received a call from a computer repairs business reporting Prince brought in a computer that they believed had child porn on it, Triano said.

Police conducted a forensic investigation in December 2007, but at the time did not have the proper equipment to adequately search the computer. It was sent to the state lab, and in August 2008 the computer came back to Rochester. By that time, police had obtained the appropriate equipment through their cyber crime unit and were able to do the necessary searches, Triano said.

In September 2008, police obtained a second computer of Prince’s after executing a search warrant, Triano said. After completing the lengthy search of Price’s computer files police in January suspected there were more than 100 images of child pornography on the computers they searched. Triano said they forwarded the information to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Virginia, where they confirmed the images did depict child pornography.

More computer equipment has since been retrieved. Triano said it is currently unknown if there is more child pornography stored on the additional equipment.

“It takes quite a while to complete this kind of forensics,” Triano said. He added the NCMEC has a stockpile of child porn images and they are able to identify potential victims and determine with certainty that the images are of someone that is underage.

While Triano said Prince does have children of his own, police do not believe any of them were victims in this case. He could not release information on how many children Prince has or their ages. The no unsupervised contact provision of Prince’s release includes his own children, Triano said.

Based on reports compiled with the help of NCMEC, police forwarded the information to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, who sought an indictment from a federal grand jury. Triano said they went for a federal indictment because of the higher court’s ability to hand down harsher punishments.

Triano said Prince could be facing additional charges as the investigation continues. Information suggesting he distributed or produced the images could lead to further enhanced charges.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Helen Fitzgibbon is prosecuting the case, which is tentatively scheduled for trial on July 21.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Jason W. Moore – Repeat Sex Offender


A South Range man pleaded guilty Friday in federal court to possessing child pornography on a computer he purchased on the day he was sentenced for the same crime in Douglas County Circuit Court.

On Sept. 5, 2007, Jason W. Moore, 34, was placed on probation and ordered to serve six months in jail during weekends after 2,400 images of child pornography were recovered from a computer during a search of his Conley Rd. residence. Earlier that same day Moore bought a laptop computer and used it to access child pornography he had previously downloaded from the internet, said Superior Police Detective Thomas Champaigne.

Police sent 100 images recovered from Moore’s laptop to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children which identified some of the images as “known” images of child pornography, according to the affidavit Champaigne filed in the case.

In court Friday, Moore admitted purchasing a computer with his wife and downloading child pornography on it. Within days of buying the laptop, police were at Moore’s residence after a Canadian woman contacted authorities about Moore telling her he was having sex with his daughter and her friends, which he said were nine or 10 years old, according to Champaigne’s affidavit.

Moore denied molesting any minor and that his internet chats were all “fantasy,” according to the affidavit.

On Dec. 5, 2007, Circuit Judge George Glonek revoked Moore’s probation and sentenced him to 18 months in prison on the 2005 possession charge, according to online court records.

On Friday, District Judge Barbara Crabb found Moore guilty of one count of possessing sexually explicit images of children between Aug. 28 and Sept. 5, 2007. He faces maximum penalties of 10 years in prison,$250,000 fine and lifetime probation at his July 24 sentencing before Crabb. Moore would have been facing 10 to 20 years in prison in federal court had he possessed child pornography after his Douglas County conviction.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

John Steven Burgess – Repeat Sex Offender – BLOCK SEX OFFENDERS FROM CRAIGSLIST


The parents of missing SDSU student Donna Jou are asking Craigslist to block registered sex offenders.

Jou became the victim of a convicted sex offender when she advertised her services as a math tutor on the classified ads site.

She went missing and her body was never found.

John Steven Burgess confessed to luring her to a party and giving her a deadly drug overdose.

He is scheduled to be sentenced for involuntary manslaughter on Monday.

Craigslist already removed the erotic services category on its site after complaints that it was being used for prostitution.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Robert Merz – Repeat Sex Offender – Busted for Child Porn Ring

Merz had two prior convictions for the molestation of two young girls on separate occasions.


A Philadelphia man was convicted yesterday on charges that he advertised child pornography on the Internet, the first such case in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, U.S. Attorney Laurie Magid said.

Robert Merz, 45, was convicted of advertising, receiving, transporting, and possessing child pornography, Magid said in a news release.

According to Magid, Merz operated a child-pornography message board titled “My Kingdom.” He placed a notice and advertisement on the board explaining the forum’s rules and purpose and the general content of the pictures of the children to be posted. The online group had members from around the world chosen by Merz, Magid said.

According to court records, Merz is “a self-admitted pedophile” and spent about a decade in prison for convictions related to molestation.

investigators testified at trial that Merz created and administered an online group that was dedicated to trading images and videos depicting the sexual abuse of minors. The online group had members from around the world who were handpicked by Merz. The group could only be accessed via a password and was established not only to trade images and videos of minors, but also so members could talk about their common sexual interest in children.

“Mr. Merz, simply by using the Internet, collected and distributed hundreds of thousands of images and videos of some of the most horrific and unimaginable criminal acts committed against children,” said Assistant Attorney General of the Criminal Division Lanny A. Breuer. “These images aren’t just abstract representations. They are depictions of real crimes committed against those who are most deserving or our protection.”

The identification of this online group resulted from Operation “Joint Hammer,” the U.S. component of “Operation Koala,” an ongoing global operation targeting transnational rings of child pornographers that was initiated by Europol and Eurojust, and involved 28 countries.

Testimony at Merz’s trial revealed that this conviction was not his first related to child exploitation. Pennsylvania law enforcement established that Merz had two prior convictions for the molestation of two young girls on separate occasions.

Sentencing has been set for July 13, 2009. At sentencing, Merz will face a mandatory minimum of 35 years and up to life in prison as well as the possibility of a lifetime period of supervised release if he does not receive a life sentence. He will also face a fine up to $250,000.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Hubert Douglas Carrillo – Repeat Sex Offender

A registered sex offender was arrested Friday on sex-related offenses involving a 15-year-old girl.

Hubert Douglas Carrillo, 32, of the 5900 block of Medina Drive, is charged with 12 counts of statutory rape, eight counts each of taking indecent liberties with a child and committing a crime against nature and other sex offenses. The offenses happened in April, according to an arrest warrant.

Carrillo was sentenced to 15 months in prison in July 1998 on charges of taking indecent liberties with a child and possession of stolen property.

He was released in March 1999 and required to register as a sex offender, according to the N.C. Sex Offender Registry Web site. Carrillo has had no violations since he was entered into the registry, according to the Web site.

Bail was set at $1.2 million.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte
Published in: on May 16, 2009 at 7:01 am  Leave a Comment  

Donald Bruce Vechik – Repeat Sex Offender – Child Predator

A 59-year-old Placer County man with a history of child molestation was convicted by a jury today on four felony counts of committing lewd acts upon a 6-year-old girl.

Donald Bruce Vechik is now facing 25 years to life in state prison when he returns for sentencing before Placer County Superior Court Judge Mark S. Curry on July 17, according to Art Campos, Placer County District Attorney public information officer.

Placer County prosecutors Jennifer Miszkewycz and Jeff Wood said evidence in the case showed that Vechik, who served a prison sentence for a similar crime in Kern County, befriended a woman and her six-year-old daughter in the Cisco Grove area in 2008.

Vechik and the woman were neighbors at a motel and the defendant offered to watch the daughter and to give her rides to school.

However, school officials checked out a report about the defendant’s background and discovered that he was a registered sex offender, Miszkewycz said.

The county’s Child Protective Services investigated and subsequent interviews with the child indicated that she had been inappropriately touched by the defendant, Miszkewycz said.

During the trial, Vechik’s attorney tried to convince the jury that there were inconsistencies in the child’s interviews with the investigators and in her testimony on the witness stand.

However, co-prosecutor Wood maintained in his closing statement that the girl’s story about the inappropriate touching had remained fairly consistent throughout the investigation and the trial.

Vechik was prosecuted on five charges of lewd conduct upon the child. The jury found him not guilty on one of the counts.

The jury also found that two special allegations — that the defendant committed the lewd acts with a prior sex offense and that he had served prison time — were true, enhancing the amount of prison time he will serve, Miszkewycz said.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Timothy Beers – Baby Raping Child Pornographer busted by Beer

Starting in 2006, Beers, 47, and another person sexually abused two girls, 3 and 5-years-old, and took photos and videos of the acts, according to his plea agreement. Federal prosecutors said the two then distributed the images on the Internet.

A Bowie man has been sentenced to 36 years for producing child pornography and abusing two Maryland girls after authorities recognized a beer can and unusual eye glasses in a photo.

Federal prosecutors say Timothy Beers also paid $75,000 to the victims after pleading guilty to charges of sexually exploiting a minor and producing and possessing child pornography.

He was sentenced Thursday.

“The discovery of a photograph in Canada led to an arrest here in Maryland and the rescue of two victimized children,” U.S. Attorney for Maryland Rod Rosenstein said Thursday in a statement.

The Canadian officer recognized a beer can in May 2007 in a child pornography photo as a brand only sold in eight northeastern U.S. states.

Then, a Maine police officer assigned to the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force saw a victim in the photo wore unusual eyeglasses. So authorities sought out ophthalmologists selling those glasses, including a Maryland doctor.

Then FBI agents in Maryland and other law enforcement officials arrested Beers.

Starting in 2006, Beers, 47, and another person sexually abused two girls, 3 and 5-years-old, and took photos and videos of the acts, according to his plea agreement. Federal prosecutors said the two then distributed the images on the Internet.

From 2004 until his Aug. 29, 2008 arrest, authorities said Beers had a large collection of child pornography images involving other children.

“This is a great example of why Project Safe Childhood is so important and underscores the importance of agencies sharing information,” said Sgt. Glenn Lang, who supervises the commands the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force and the Maine State Police Computer Crimes Unit.

Gerardo Lopez – Repeat Sex Offender – Caught in the act of Rape


Police caught a man sexually assaulting a woman on the southside Wednesday thanks to a womans cell phone signal.

Gerardo Lopez, a registered sex offender, is accused of sexually assaulting a 34-year-old woman Wednesday.

Tucson Police Sgt. Fabian Pacheco says, “The victim had just gotten off of a bus in the area of 39th St. and Park, and was walking to a nearby business.”

Police say the woman took a short cut through a secluded desert area.

Sgt. Pacheco says, “Unfortunately the suspect followed her and attacked her.”

The victim managed to call 911.

Pacheco says, “The 911 operators could hear a female in a distress being assaulted.”

Within minutes, the woman’s cell phone signal led officers to a secluded location north of 1-10 and west of Park Avenue.

Pacheco adds, “The suspect didn’t even realize that the police was approaching and essentially caught him in the act.”

The suspect, 51, was arrested and booked on several charges, including three counts of sexual assault.

Lopez is no stranger to the law. He’s listed as a level three sex offender, convicted in a prior case of attempted sexual conduct with a minor.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte