James Walter Hale – Repeat Sex Offender – Child Pornography

A convicted sex offender has been indicted by a federal grand jury on a child-pornography charge while he was on probation.

James Walter Hale, 57, of Houston, was indicted for possessing child pornography, officials said Tuesday.

Hale was previously convicted in December 1996 in state court for possession of child pornography and is currently in state prison for violating his probation and failing to register as a sex offender, authorities said.

The federal charges were filed against Hale after Harris County Sheriff’s deputies serving a search warrant for him failing to register as a sex offender noticed what they believed to be child pornography on his computer.

The sheriff’s office alerted federal law enforcement agents, who investigated the case.

The indictment, handed up on Tuesday, accuses Hale of possessing child pornography on his computer, CDs and DVDs.

Because of his prior state conviction, Hale faces a mandatory sentence of at least 10 years and up to 20 years in prison as well as a maximum fine of $250,000, if he is convicted.

Also, if convicted, he faces a maximum of life on supervised release after he completes his prison sentence. The court can impose a number of special conditions on his release to protect children and prohibit the use of the Internet.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Mark Gillette – Repeat Sex Offender – Busted on Craig’s List


An advertisement on Craig’s List led police to a Bloomington man arrested for a sex crime. It isn’t his first time behind bars.

An Indiana University Police officer made the arrest after an undercover sting. The officer says he chatted online with registered sex offender Mark Gillette, who agreed to exchange sex for money.

The alleged prostitution agreement took place on Craig’s List, a popular website for goods and services.

“Gillette had only been out of prison for a few months when we got an anonymous tip,” said Capt. Jerry Minger, IU police.

Police say Gillette agreed to meet who he thought was his Craig’s List acquaintance on the IU campus. But when Gillette arrived on the west side of the IU HPER building, much to Gillette’s surprise, it turned out to be an campus cop.

“When they got to midpoint there they identified themselves as police officers and arrested him,” said Capt. Minger.

The officer arrested Mark Gillette for promoting prostitution, but also on a March 10th warrant for violating his probation. Gillette failed to register his new address as a convicted sex offender, so he was already wanted by authorities.

The same campus police officer arrested Gillette several years ago for the same offense.

“His first offense involved a 16- and 17-year-old, trying to get them into prostitution,” said Minger.

Right now it’s spring break at IU, but when it comes to using websites like Craig’s List, “We aggressively enforce the laws here on campus,” Minger said.

Police are warning not only students but anyone using the internet to commit a crime on or off campus that they’ll be watching.

Gillette has no connection to Indiana University.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Jeremy Lee Webb – Repeat Sex Offender – Internet Predator

An Enola man was arrested early Monday afternoon after a Cleburne County Sheriff’s Office online predator “sting” operation.

Jeremy Lee Webb, 27, of 20 Branch Road, Enola, according to Detective Matt Rice of the Faulkner County Sheriff’s Office, is alleged to have had conversed about sexual matters with a CCSO detective posing as a 14-year-old girl and to have arranged a meeting for sexual contact at a pre-determined location. He has been charged with internet stalking of a child, a class-B felony.

Web never showed up for this meeting, according to Rice, who assisted with the arrest, “but he did set it up, and that’s all it takes” for a judge to issue an arrest warrant.

Webb is listed on the Arkansas Crime Information Center (ACIC) Sex Offender Registry as a level II offender in relation to a 2003 conviction for second-degree sexual assault involving non-consensual sexual contact with a 22-year-old female. He also has a criminal history in Faulkner County including third-degree domestic battering and DWI in September 2004, hot check law violation in August 2004, failure to comply with court orders in October 2006 and public intoxication, disorderly conduct and attempt to influence a public servant on Christmas Day 2005.

Webb was being held in the Cleburne County Jail with a $25,000 bond Monday. His arrest is the 15th since CCSO began targeting online predators through “sting” operations in February 2008, according to the detective who caught him.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Ernest Leonard Voight – Repeat Sex Offender – Gets 390 years

Voight was previously convicted in 1994 and 2004 of lewd acts on a child and in 1989 of assault with a deadly weapon.

A repeat offender convicted of molesting two young boys has been sentenced to 390 years in state prison under California’s three-strikes sentencing law.

Ernest Leonard Voight, 45, of Santa Ana was found guilty in July of five felony counts of lewd acts on a child. Voight sexually assaulted one victim on three occasions between 2002 — when the boy was 11 years old — and 2004.

After befriending the victim’s father, Voight spent time alone with the boy, taking him to play basketball and going to his house when the parents were away.

Around the same time, Voight sexually assaulted a 9-year-old boy who was a friend of the 11-year-old. Voight spent time alone with the boy by playing sports together and letting the victim listen to music in Voight’s parked car while sitting on Voight’s lap.

Voight was previously convicted in 1994 and 2004 of lewd acts on a child and in 1989 of assault with a deadly weapon. He was sentenced Friday.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Patrick Scott Page – Repeat Sex Offender – Busted


Detectives were executing a home visit of a 25-year-old Registered Sex Offender, Patrick Scott Page. Page lives at 1419 W. Pikes Peak Avenue. He is on probation for Sexual Exploitation of a Child.

Detectives say images of child porn were found on Page’s computer. It was also learned that Page had been accessing an unsecured wireless network belonging to a neighbor. Detectives say Page used his neighbor’s Internet access without their permission, to download the child pornography using a “peer to peer” software program.

As a result of this inquiry, Page was charged with Sexual Exploitation, a felony, and a probation violation. He was taken to the El Paso County Criminal Justice Center.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Grand Rapids Catholic Diocese lists allegations against two priests: one imprisoned, the other dead

Shamaun Beas


The Grand Rapids Catholic Diocese received three credible sexual-abuse allegations against two priests last year, but is refusing to identify one of them.

The unnamed priest is deceased and the alleged abuse occurred 40 years ago, diocesan spokeswoman Mary Haarman said. She declined to give further information, and Bishop Walter Hurley did not respond to requests for comment.
Shamaun Beas

She identified one priest with two allegations as Shamaun Beas, who was convicted last year on two counts of fourth-degree sexual criminal conduct for sexually molesting two teenage sisters. Beas, who served parishes in Portland and Sparta, already was serving six to 20 years for a 2004 Internet sex sting.

The allegations were reported as part of a review of U.S. dioceses’ sexual abuse policies by the U.S. Catholic Bishops Conference. The sixth annual report found dioceses received 625 new allegations of child sexual abuse by clergy, the majority of them incidents from the 1970s.

Dioceses nationwide also increased spending on their abuse-prevention, including the 11-county Grand Rapids Diocese. The diocese spent $84,500 on those programs last year, up from $66,000 in 2007.

The review found the diocese to be in compliance with policies bishops set in 2002 to remove abusive priests and prevent future abuse with training programs for children and adults.

Another $26,800 in diocesan funds went to therapy for abuse survivors.

Officials would not comment on why they declined to name the deceased priest or provide details of the abuse. The diocese in the past has named accused priests who have died, and routinely has provided names of living priests against whom allegations were substantiated.

The U.S. bishops’ Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People calls on dioceses to be “open and transparent” in communicating with the public while also respecting “the privacy and the reputation of the individuals involved.”

Some dioceses release deceased priests’ names and some don’t, said Teresa Kettelkamp, executive director of the U.S. bishops’ Secretariat of Child and Youth Protection. Dead priests can’t defend themselves, and sometimes allegations are so old they cannot be verified, she said.

She said she understands why Grand Rapids did not release the name, adding, “You can’t properly vet the credibility of the allegation.”

However, not naming the priest casts a pall over other deceased priests’ reputations, while naming him could prod victims to tell their families and seek therapy, said David Clohessy, director of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests.

“It’s a choice between the reputation of one deceased adult, or the emotional well-being of maybe dozens of still-suffering and once-abused children,” Clohessy said.