Michael Anthony Tyson – Repeat Sex Offender – In less than 3 months even!


He spent nearly 10 years in prison for indecency with an 11-year-old girl in Dallas before his release in November. Then Michael Anthony Tyson, 48, moved back to Dallas as a sex offender.

It took him just over three months to get caught in another obscene encounter with a young girl, according to Dallas Area Rapid Transit police. Officers arrested Tyson on Tuesday on a charge of indecency with a child.

DART police say he approached a 15-year-old girl while she waited for a train at Union Station downtown on Houston Street. He started masturbating and wiggling his tongue at her, police say, though he did not touch her. He was booked into the Dallas County jail Tuesday about 8:30 p.m.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Odell Fisher Sr – State seeks civil confinement for Repeat Sex Offender


The state is seeking a sexual predator commitment for a Kenosha man, who is facing charges for allegedly molesting a 6-year-old girl in Racine.

Odell Fisher Sr., 58, has been on the Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry since 1995, when he was convicted of second-degree sexual assault of a child and child enticement in Kenosha County. Since then, he has been charged in Racine County with first-degree sexual assault of child without great bodily harm and violating the state’s Sex Offender Registry. He was also convicted in Racine County of battery by prisoners in 1995.

Fisher’s Racine County charges stem from an August 2007 incident. A 6-year-old girl playing outside was reportedly sent into a home to use the bathroom. Fisher was inside the house, and allegedly forced the girl to touch his genitals, offered her money and told her not to tell anyone about it. The girl reported the incident to her mother.

Fisher’s jury trial on the sexual assault charge was scheduled to begin last month, but has been taken off the calendar. His sentence for his 1995 conviction was due to end in January, but the filing of the commitment petition will keep him in jail or prison until it is resolved. He also has a $10,000 cash bond that is keeping him in custody on the Racine County charge.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice filed a petition for commitment Jan. 26, under the sexually violent person statute. On Feb. 3 a Kenosha judge found there was probable cause to continue with the proceedings.

People are subject to civil commitments when they have been convicted of a sexually violent offense, have a mental disorder and are dangerous to others because the disorder makes it likely that they will commit further acts of sexual violence. Once committed, people remain in the custody and care of the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services until no longer considered sexually violent.

Assistant Attorney General Don Latorraca said the law that allows these commitments is set up to “provide care and treatment in a secure setting for individuals that are identified as sexually violent persons.”

The state does not seek commitment for every sex offender, Latorraca said.

“Only a very small number of offenders who go through corrections have been referred to for the filing of a court case,” he said.

If committed, people are sent to one of two state facilities for treatment where they

receive treatment and, if they are deemed to no longer be a danger, they can be released.

“There are people who are moving through the system,” Latorraca said. “The person who’s committed gets a new evaluation every year. That evaluator is determining do they still have the disorder, are they still a risk. They may make a recommendation that they no longer meet the criteria, or they might say the person could be adequately treated in the community.”

There have been about 400 commitments under the law since the 1990s, Latorraca said.

There are about 80 cases that are pending.

In about 160 cases, commitment proceedings were dismissed or denied.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Johnny Lee Gibson – Repeat Sex Offender – Claimed he was homeless


A Norman man and registered sex offender faces several felony charges, after Norman police discovered the man had been living in a local apartment — and was not “homeless” as he’d previously reported.

Johnny Lee Gibson, 36, was charged Tuesday with sexual battery; providing false or misleading registration information; and unlawful registration within a prohibited area.

Department of Corrections records show Gibson was released on parole Aug. 26, after having served 10 months in prison.

Police said they found Gibson in an apartment in the 400 block of 24th Avenue, where he said he’d been living the past five months, despite having told police he was homeless when he registered as a sex offender.

Officers interviewed an 18-year-old woman at the apartment, who said she’d been molested by Gibson about a month earlier. Gibson allegedly fondled the woman while she was sleeping, police said.

Gibson has prior convictions for failing to register as a sex offender; sex offender living within 2,000 feet of a school and providing false or misleading registration information.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

ENABLER – Pastor Todd Thomas – Hired convicted sex offender to work in nursery school

Thomas defended his hire saying
he didn’t believe Buffington was a threat.

Would you hire a registered sex offender to work at a nursery school? One local pastor did and is defending his decision.

Five parents pulled their children from Bethesda Cooperative Nursery School after learning the hired maintenance man, Travis Buffington, is a registered sex offender.

Ellen Burgess, the school’s director, says she did not hire Buffington — Pastor Todd Thomas did. Thomas apparently did so knowing Buffington, 33, had served time for possession of child pornography.

“We have heard and understood the parents’ fears and concerns and are going to be working quickly to show our respect for their feelings and to resolve our current situation,” Thomas tells WTOP in an email.

Buffington, who served time for possession of child pornography in Michigan, was allowed to live on church property in January. After learning of his status as a sex offender this week, five parents pulled their children from the program.

Burgess says she didn’t know about Buffington’s background until recently and would never have hired him.

“We’ve made it very clear that this is unacceptable and we’re working towards a resolution.”

At a recent meeting with parents, Thomas defended his hire saying he didn’t believe Buffington was a threat.

Burgess explains the independent school is affiliated with the Church of Bethesda, but that she does not have say on Buffington’s hire.

Buffington was charged with possessing child pornography in 2005 and convicted in 2006.

Buffington has since resigned and moved after officials at the nursery school demanded his removal.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”

………Sarah Tofte

Published in: on February 18, 2009 at 6:06 pm  Leave a Comment  

Curtis Thompson – Repeat Sex Offender – Cowardly rapist won’t face the jury

Thompson was first convicted of rape in 1988, after a jury found he had attacked four Seattle women in a manner similar to that he used against M. He served 18 years of a 25-year sentence before being released in 2003.

At the time, prosecutors fought in court to have Thompson confined through a state program for sexually violent predators. A jury disagreed, voting to release Thompson into the community.

More than four years after she unwillingly joined the group of women raped by Curtis Thompson, a Seattle woman attacked during the convicted sex offender’s violent 2004 spree got the news she’d been waiting for Friday.

After deliberating for little more than three hours, 12 King County jurors returned unanimous guilty verdicts in all three counts against Thompson. Though he already faces a mandatory life sentence in a later attack, the conviction further ensures Thompson will never be released from prison.

“Everybody has been waiting for this for four years,” said the woman, who asked to be referred to publicly only as M.

At trial, Senior Deputy Prosecutor Scott O’Toole led jurors through Thompson’s attack on M. It began with the towering sex offender breaking into her Eastlake apartment. He raped her for hours as she fought him, then doused her with bleach to hide his crime and stole her car.

Through the two-week trial, M looked on from the gallery as an often-petulant Thompson glared at jurors and berated his own attorney. She was often joined by others attacked by Thompson, including several of the four women he was convicted of raping in 1985.

“I already fought him then, so this is just follow-through,” M said after the verdict. “It was good to see him over there, sweating. … You could just see the anger.”

Thompson was first convicted of rape in 1988, after a jury found he had attacked four Seattle women in a manner similar to that he used against M. He served 18 years of a 25-year sentence before being released in 2003.

At the time, prosecutors fought in court to have Thompson confined through a state program for sexually violent predators. A jury disagreed, voting to release Thompson into the community.

Less than a year later, on the night of Aug. 17, 2004, Thompson attacked M. One week after that, prosecutors say, Thompson killed Ravenna neighborhood resident Deborah Byars before being arrested during an attack on two young women at a University District apartment building.

Thompson has been charged with first-degree murder in Byars’ death. He is expected to stand trial on that charge later this year.

A separate jury previously convicted Thompson in the U District attack, finding him guilty of 10 counts. Though he has not yet been sentenced, Thompson likely will receive a life sentence in that attack under the state’s two-strikes law for violent sex crimes.

As he has previously, Thompson refused to return to the courtroom Friday to hear the jury’s verdict. Asked to explain his client’s refusal, defense attorney John Hicks said it wouldn’t be appropriate for him to comment on Thompson before adding, in candor, that he had “no idea.”

To O’Toole, who has led the prosecution in all three cases, Thompson’s actions reflected the 49-year-old’s refusal to own up to his actions.

“He’s a man who has avoided accountability and responsibility his whole life,” O’Toole said. “He doesn’t have the strength to face the jury.”

Thompson is set to be sentenced in mid-March.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte