James Mahan – Recreations Director BUSTED for Child Porn

A Bedford Heights resident who once served as aquatics director at the Macedonia Recreation Center was named Friday as one of 41 individuals charged with trading child pornography in a six-month regional child pornography sting known as Operation SafetyNet.

The investigation was conducted by the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force (ICAC), which is chaired by Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Bill Mason.

James Mahan, 56, of Bedford Heights had been placed on temporary leave by Macedonia after a search warrant was served at his home July 25, said Ryan Miday, spokesman for Mason’s office.

“As soon as we learned of his occupation and that he might be in contact with children, we contacted the city,” Miday said. “And they acted quickly.”

Mahan reportedly resigned Aug. 11.

Part of the investigation included the seizure of several city-owned computers that Mahan had access to. While none of the city computers contained child-pornography related material, Macedonia Mayor Don Kuchta said full cooperation was given when he was contacted by the task force.

“I have a very low tolerance for city computers being used for anything other than work,” the mayor said. “And an even lower tolerance for child pornography.”

However, the charges against Mahan came as a surprise to those who worked with him in the city, Kuchta said.

“I never received any kind of complaint or any indication of any hanky panky by Jim,” the mayor said. “It came as a complete surprise to everyone who worked with him. There was no sign of it.”

Mahan was charged with 60 counts of pandering sexually oriented material. Eleven of the counts refer to trading child pornography on the Internet, and 48 fall under a different designation referring to downloading the material onto his computer, Miday said.

“He is also charged with one count of possession of criminal tools — namely, the computer,” Miday said.

Mahan has not been arrested, but has been summonsed to appear at an arraignment Dec. 1, Miday said. Bond will be set at that arraignment.

Operation SafetyNet began in June and utilized peer-to-peer precision technology to target frequent users of child pornography, Miday explained.

“The technology allows us to zero in on where they are trading known child pornography,” he said. “That is important; it’s known before through things like catalogued information from the National Center For Missing and Exploited Children and ICAC.”

Tracing the code or cyber “fingerprint” present on every personal computer, the task force was able to execute 62 search warrants in 20 communities in and around Cuyahoga County; seize 4,550 pieces of evidentiary material such as computers, cameras, CDs and flash drives; charge 29 adults and 12 juveniles; and refer 19 cases to agencies outside the county and the state — as far away as Rhode Island and Florida.

The operation came to involve more than 150 law enforcement officials from 45 agencies and the task force is still conducting forensics testing in an additional 18 cases, Miday said.

“The operation was successful in targeting these predators who are perpetuating the abuse of children,” he said.

David James Hollenback – Baby Raping Child pornographer

A Boggs Township man who police say videotaped himself raping a 6-year-old girl is also being investigated by federal agents in connection with child pornography, state police said.

David James Hollenback, 50, of 220 Big Hickory Lane, waived his right to a hearing Wednesday on a laundry list of charges in Centre County related to raping the child, videotaping the act and possession of child pornography.

State police have been combing through several computers and home videos that Hollenback’s family found that contained pornographic images of children, including some that show Hollenback raping a then-6-year-old child, according to the lead investigator, Trooper Leigh Barrows.

As more information comes in, Assistant District Attorney Lance Marshall said more charges could be coming against Hollenback.

Barrows said she has also been contacted by a federal agent in Philadelphia who is investigating Hollenback. The extent of the investigation is still unclear, but it is related to child pornography, Barrows said.

“There may be a crime involving the purchasing and trading of child pornography,” Marshall said of the federal investigation.
Advertisement

Hollenback opted to waive his numerous felony charges onto trial Wednesday, instead of having a hearing before a judge who would decide if police had enough evidence.

His Williamsport-area attorney, George Lepley, couldn’t be reached for comment.

Marshall said no plea deal was offered to Hollenback.

The police probe on Hollenback began here on Labor Day, when troopers received a tip that he had child pornography on his computer, police said.

Days later, videotapes emerged that, according to court documents, show Hollenback raping a child and he was charged again. Police also found some footage of Hollenback taping girls while peering through window blinds, police said. Some of the videos date back more than five years.

Before being arrested in September, Hollenback, who had worked at the Wal-Mart on North Atherton Street in State College, had never been arrested.

He remains in jail on $90,000 bail.

Roberto Caragol – Child Molesting Swim Coach BUSTED

During an interview, Caragol told agents he has had sexual encounters
with underage boys since 2001


An award-winning swim coach at a prestigious Broward County school has been arrested on child pornography charges.

According to the office of U.S. State Attorney R. Alexander Acosta, 35-year-old Roberto Caragol, an assistant swim coach at Pine Crest School in Fort Lauderdale, has been charged with possessing child pornography.

Authorities said America Online gave law enforcement officials a tip that Caragol allegedly distributed child pornography on the Web.

When the Broward Sheriff’s Office and Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers examined Caragol’s computer, the state attorney’s office said, they found 40 pornographic images of boys under 18 years old.

Investigators said Caragol not only admitted to sending and receiving the pornographic images but that he also confessed to having sex with underage children

In a statement released Wednesday, the Pine Crest School said that Caragol was placed on administrative suspension.

“This is a difficult time for all of us at Pine Crest School. We have taken great care in responding to this situation and communicating with students, faculty and families,” the statement said. “We are fully committed to providing a secure and safe environment for every member of our school community.”

Students and parents at the school heard about the charges on Wednesday morning, after Caragol appeared before a federal judge.

“I didn’t know he was capable of doing something like this,” said Jessica Kazmin, who is on the school’s swim team.

Kazmin said she had no idea Caragol had been under investigation for several months by BSO and federal agents.

“He was just our coach. He was just another part of the Pine Crest swimming family. We never assumed anything,” Kazmin said.

Students at Pine Crest said the swim team was shocked when they read the news on the Internet on Wednesday.

“They were looking at it and the proctor let them use the main computer, so word spread pretty quickly. Everybody was checking it out on the Internet. It was pretty nuts,” said student Wyatt Zeller.

Before he worked for Pine Crest, Caragol coached at Cypress Bay High School in Weston, where he guided the boys’ swim team to a state championship in 2006.

Investigators said they want to know if Caragol might have victimized any of his former students or swim team members. They said anyone with information should contact the Broward Sheriff’s Office or the U.S. Attorney General’s Office in Fort Lauderdale.

Roberto Caragol – Child Molesting Swim Coach BUSTED

During an interview, Caragol told agents he has had sexual encounters
with underage boys since 2001


An award-winning swim coach at a prestigious Broward County school has been arrested on child pornography charges.

According to the office of U.S. State Attorney R. Alexander Acosta, 35-year-old Roberto Caragol, an assistant swim coach at Pine Crest School in Fort Lauderdale, has been charged with possessing child pornography.

Authorities said America Online gave law enforcement officials a tip that Caragol allegedly distributed child pornography on the Web.

When the Broward Sheriff’s Office and Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers examined Caragol’s computer, the state attorney’s office said, they found 40 pornographic images of boys under 18 years old.

Investigators said Caragol not only admitted to sending and receiving the pornographic images but that he also confessed to having sex with underage children

In a statement released Wednesday, the Pine Crest School said that Caragol was placed on administrative suspension.

“This is a difficult time for all of us at Pine Crest School. We have taken great care in responding to this situation and communicating with students, faculty and families,” the statement said. “We are fully committed to providing a secure and safe environment for every member of our school community.”

Students and parents at the school heard about the charges on Wednesday morning, after Caragol appeared before a federal judge.

“I didn’t know he was capable of doing something like this,” said Jessica Kazmin, who is on the school’s swim team.

Kazmin said she had no idea Caragol had been under investigation for several months by BSO and federal agents.

“He was just our coach. He was just another part of the Pine Crest swimming family. We never assumed anything,” Kazmin said.

Students at Pine Crest said the swim team was shocked when they read the news on the Internet on Wednesday.

“They were looking at it and the proctor let them use the main computer, so word spread pretty quickly. Everybody was checking it out on the Internet. It was pretty nuts,” said student Wyatt Zeller.

Before he worked for Pine Crest, Caragol coached at Cypress Bay High School in Weston, where he guided the boys’ swim team to a state championship in 2006.

Investigators said they want to know if Caragol might have victimized any of his former students or swim team members. They said anyone with information should contact the Broward Sheriff’s Office or the U.S. Attorney General’s Office in Fort Lauderdale.