George K. Martin Repeat Sex Offender Civilly Committed

A repeat child sex offender must remain behind bars indefinitely while undergoing psychological treatment aimed at preventing him from molesting another minor, a McHenry County judge ruled Friday.

George K. Martin, formerly of Crystal Lake, lost his bid to go free and undergo the mandatory treatment as an outpatient while living with family members in the south suburbs.

Judge Sharon Prather said that while Martin, 31, has shown progress since a jury declared him a sexually violent person earlier this year, he still has a ways to go before re-entering society.

“The court is of the opinion that his progress at this point is not enough for (Martin) to be released,” Prather said.

Martin, 31, has been in a prison, detention center or a group home for most of the past 17 years as a result of sexual crimes against children.

Psychologist Robert Brucker testified Friday that Martin is a pedophile who is “substantially probable” to commit another sex crime if allowed free. Particularly troubling, he said, was that each time Martin was released from detention or prison over the past 12 years, he molested another child within a matter of months.

“It indicates that when he returns to the community he is not able to be successful in controlling his sexually deviant behavior,” Brucker said.

Martin was days from parole in August 2006 after serving part of an 8-year sentence for sexually abusing a 5-year-old girl when state authorities filed a petition asking a court to declare him a sexually violent person.

Under Illinois law, a person declared sexually violent can be held in state custody indefinitely until mental health professionals and a court agree he no longer is a threat if released.

The case involving the 5-year-old girl occurred just three months after Martin had been paroled from a 12-year sentence for assaulting a 6-year-old girl in Chicago. He also spent time in a juvenile detention center and group home in the early 1990s for sexually abusing a 3-year-old girl.

Under the court’s decision, Martin will remain in state custody for at least six months, when he can again ask to go free. If denied, he can petition the court annually for his release.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

George K. Martin Repeat Sex Offender Civilly Committed

A repeat child sex offender must remain behind bars indefinitely while undergoing psychological treatment aimed at preventing him from molesting another minor, a McHenry County judge ruled Friday.

George K. Martin, formerly of Crystal Lake, lost his bid to go free and undergo the mandatory treatment as an outpatient while living with family members in the south suburbs.

Judge Sharon Prather said that while Martin, 31, has shown progress since a jury declared him a sexually violent person earlier this year, he still has a ways to go before re-entering society.

“The court is of the opinion that his progress at this point is not enough for (Martin) to be released,” Prather said.

Martin, 31, has been in a prison, detention center or a group home for most of the past 17 years as a result of sexual crimes against children.

Psychologist Robert Brucker testified Friday that Martin is a pedophile who is “substantially probable” to commit another sex crime if allowed free. Particularly troubling, he said, was that each time Martin was released from detention or prison over the past 12 years, he molested another child within a matter of months.

“It indicates that when he returns to the community he is not able to be successful in controlling his sexually deviant behavior,” Brucker said.

Martin was days from parole in August 2006 after serving part of an 8-year sentence for sexually abusing a 5-year-old girl when state authorities filed a petition asking a court to declare him a sexually violent person.

Under Illinois law, a person declared sexually violent can be held in state custody indefinitely until mental health professionals and a court agree he no longer is a threat if released.

The case involving the 5-year-old girl occurred just three months after Martin had been paroled from a 12-year sentence for assaulting a 6-year-old girl in Chicago. He also spent time in a juvenile detention center and group home in the early 1990s for sexually abusing a 3-year-old girl.

Under the court’s decision, Martin will remain in state custody for at least six months, when he can again ask to go free. If denied, he can petition the court annually for his release.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Daniel Sullivan Repeat Sex Offender busted for Chil Porn


Federal authorities on Friday released more information about Thursday morning’s FBI raid in North Berwick, including corrected information about the identity of the man who was taken into custody on suspicion of possessing child pornography.

In a Foster’s Page 1 story Thursday, that person was misidentified because of incorrect information provided by a U.S. District Court official. According to Gail Marcinkiewicz, a spokeswoman for the FBI’s Boston bureau, the man’s actual identity is Daniel Sullivan, 53, a registered sex offender and owner of the mobile home at 62 Maple St. that was raided.

Marcinkiewicz could not comment on why Sullivan was taken into custody, but said the investigation originated at the FBI bureau in Philadelphia, Pa. Jerri Williams, the bureau spokeswoman there, said Sullivan was being investigated on suspicion of possessing child pornography, but could not provide any further information about the case.

At about 8 a.m. Thursday morning, several FBI agents, assisted by North Berwick police officers, raided the home and pulled Sullivan and two other men outside. Agents confiscated computer equipment and video tapes, according to one neighbor who witnessed the raid.

Sullivan was transported to the Cumberland County Jail in Portland, where he is currently being held in the custody of the U.S. Marshal’s Service.

It is unclear when Sullivan will appear in court; a jail official said he could not provide further information other than the fact that Sullivan is being held there.

No one from the U.S. Marshal’s Service or the state’s Attorney General’s Office was available for comment Friday.

According to North Berwick Police Chief Stephen Peasley, Sullivan has lived in the mobile home by himself for about eight years.

In 2001, Sullivan was convicted of visual sexual aggression after he exposed himself from his front lawn to a group of children walking by, Peasley said. Sullivan served nine months in jail and was forced to register as a sex offender.

Since the arrest, officers have been called to Sullivan’s residence on multiple occasions for complaints, though Peasley could not recall the specifics of the complaints.

One of Sullivan’s neighbors said she often sees visitors come and go from Sullivan’s home, adding that the man mostly kept to himself.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Daniel Sullivan Repeat Sex Offender busted for Chil Porn


Federal authorities on Friday released more information about Thursday morning’s FBI raid in North Berwick, including corrected information about the identity of the man who was taken into custody on suspicion of possessing child pornography.

In a Foster’s Page 1 story Thursday, that person was misidentified because of incorrect information provided by a U.S. District Court official. According to Gail Marcinkiewicz, a spokeswoman for the FBI’s Boston bureau, the man’s actual identity is Daniel Sullivan, 53, a registered sex offender and owner of the mobile home at 62 Maple St. that was raided.

Marcinkiewicz could not comment on why Sullivan was taken into custody, but said the investigation originated at the FBI bureau in Philadelphia, Pa. Jerri Williams, the bureau spokeswoman there, said Sullivan was being investigated on suspicion of possessing child pornography, but could not provide any further information about the case.

At about 8 a.m. Thursday morning, several FBI agents, assisted by North Berwick police officers, raided the home and pulled Sullivan and two other men outside. Agents confiscated computer equipment and video tapes, according to one neighbor who witnessed the raid.

Sullivan was transported to the Cumberland County Jail in Portland, where he is currently being held in the custody of the U.S. Marshal’s Service.

It is unclear when Sullivan will appear in court; a jail official said he could not provide further information other than the fact that Sullivan is being held there.

No one from the U.S. Marshal’s Service or the state’s Attorney General’s Office was available for comment Friday.

According to North Berwick Police Chief Stephen Peasley, Sullivan has lived in the mobile home by himself for about eight years.

In 2001, Sullivan was convicted of visual sexual aggression after he exposed himself from his front lawn to a group of children walking by, Peasley said. Sullivan served nine months in jail and was forced to register as a sex offender.

Since the arrest, officers have been called to Sullivan’s residence on multiple occasions for complaints, though Peasley could not recall the specifics of the complaints.

One of Sullivan’s neighbors said she often sees visitors come and go from Sullivan’s home, adding that the man mostly kept to himself.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Daniel Sullivan Repeat Sex Offender busted for Chil Porn


Federal authorities on Friday released more information about Thursday morning’s FBI raid in North Berwick, including corrected information about the identity of the man who was taken into custody on suspicion of possessing child pornography.

In a Foster’s Page 1 story Thursday, that person was misidentified because of incorrect information provided by a U.S. District Court official. According to Gail Marcinkiewicz, a spokeswoman for the FBI’s Boston bureau, the man’s actual identity is Daniel Sullivan, 53, a registered sex offender and owner of the mobile home at 62 Maple St. that was raided.

Marcinkiewicz could not comment on why Sullivan was taken into custody, but said the investigation originated at the FBI bureau in Philadelphia, Pa. Jerri Williams, the bureau spokeswoman there, said Sullivan was being investigated on suspicion of possessing child pornography, but could not provide any further information about the case.

At about 8 a.m. Thursday morning, several FBI agents, assisted by North Berwick police officers, raided the home and pulled Sullivan and two other men outside. Agents confiscated computer equipment and video tapes, according to one neighbor who witnessed the raid.

Sullivan was transported to the Cumberland County Jail in Portland, where he is currently being held in the custody of the U.S. Marshal’s Service.

It is unclear when Sullivan will appear in court; a jail official said he could not provide further information other than the fact that Sullivan is being held there.

No one from the U.S. Marshal’s Service or the state’s Attorney General’s Office was available for comment Friday.

According to North Berwick Police Chief Stephen Peasley, Sullivan has lived in the mobile home by himself for about eight years.

In 2001, Sullivan was convicted of visual sexual aggression after he exposed himself from his front lawn to a group of children walking by, Peasley said. Sullivan served nine months in jail and was forced to register as a sex offender.

Since the arrest, officers have been called to Sullivan’s residence on multiple occasions for complaints, though Peasley could not recall the specifics of the complaints.

One of Sullivan’s neighbors said she often sees visitors come and go from Sullivan’s home, adding that the man mostly kept to himself.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte