Michael Miller – Molested girls for years – while coaching Little League

Michael Miller also a Little League Volunteer

Operation Phoenix Youth Center Director Michael Miller was arraigned Tuesday in San Bernardino Superior Court on 23 counts of alleged child molestation.

Miller who is married, is accused of molesting two young girls in recent months and another more than ten years ago.

Appearing before Judge Brian McCarville via a video hookup from jail, Miller pleaded not guilty to:

One count of a forcible lewd act and three counts of lewd and lascivious acts upon a child, occurring from October to last Wednesday, the day before police arrested Miller at a Redlands restaurant. The charges outlined in a 36-page criminal complaint states that the girl now 7 was 6 when the alleged molestation began.

Miller is also charged with one count of a lewd act upon another 6 year old girl during the same period.

Eighteen counts of lewd acts including oral copulation upon a child from June 1997 through November 1998. The complaint states the acts began when the girl was 12 until her 14th birthday.

One count of possessing child pornography that appeared to have been downloaded from an Internet site.

San Bernardino County Supervising District Attorney Denise Trager-Dvorak said the oldest allegations were discovered during an investigation of Miller last week in connection with the molestation allegations at the center housed in the Church of the Nazarene located on Sierra Way.

Judge McCarville assigned the Public Defender’s Office to represent the defendant when he stated he could not afford an attorney. He remains jailed on $1 million bail.

Image

Michael Steven Miller 48 was arrested on molestation charges July 3, 2008. He was booked into San Bernardino West Valley Detention Center on $1 million bail, on one count of lewd and lascivious acts with a child under 14.

There is now a growing concern that there may be a trail of victims. Miller was a Little League volunteer. According to a District 43 Little League website, Miller served as a board member and Umpire in Charge (UIC). Following his arrest Thursday, July 3 website links to Miller at the Operation Phoenix center were abruptly removed. District 43 officials offered no comment.

Miller, 48 of San Bernardino worked at the center overseeing recreation programs for underprivileged youth since 2006 and has been a Parks and Recreation Center employee since 1999. He also served as a Police Department volunteer as well as a community service supervisor.

Operation Phoenix, a controversial crime-fighting program is the brain child of Mayor Pat Morris designed to provide education, mentoring, games and athletics for some of the city’s most vulnerable youth.

San Bernardino police Lt. Scott Paterson said a background check on Miller was conducted and only revealed a previous petty theft incident.

Detectives revealed few details of the case, both to preserve elements of the criminal investigation and to protect the privacy of the victims. Miller could face life in prison if convicted on all counts.

Published in: on July 10, 2008 at 5:50 am  Leave a Comment  

Michael Miller – Molested girls for years – while coaching Little League

Michael Miller also a Little League Volunteer

Operation Phoenix Youth Center Director Michael Miller was arraigned Tuesday in San Bernardino Superior Court on 23 counts of alleged child molestation.

Miller who is married, is accused of molesting two young girls in recent months and another more than ten years ago.

Appearing before Judge Brian McCarville via a video hookup from jail, Miller pleaded not guilty to:

One count of a forcible lewd act and three counts of lewd and lascivious acts upon a child, occurring from October to last Wednesday, the day before police arrested Miller at a Redlands restaurant. The charges outlined in a 36-page criminal complaint states that the girl now 7 was 6 when the alleged molestation began.

Miller is also charged with one count of a lewd act upon another 6 year old girl during the same period.

Eighteen counts of lewd acts including oral copulation upon a child from June 1997 through November 1998. The complaint states the acts began when the girl was 12 until her 14th birthday.

One count of possessing child pornography that appeared to have been downloaded from an Internet site.

San Bernardino County Supervising District Attorney Denise Trager-Dvorak said the oldest allegations were discovered during an investigation of Miller last week in connection with the molestation allegations at the center housed in the Church of the Nazarene located on Sierra Way.

Judge McCarville assigned the Public Defender’s Office to represent the defendant when he stated he could not afford an attorney. He remains jailed on $1 million bail.

Image

Michael Steven Miller 48 was arrested on molestation charges July 3, 2008. He was booked into San Bernardino West Valley Detention Center on $1 million bail, on one count of lewd and lascivious acts with a child under 14.

There is now a growing concern that there may be a trail of victims. Miller was a Little League volunteer. According to a District 43 Little League website, Miller served as a board member and Umpire in Charge (UIC). Following his arrest Thursday, July 3 website links to Miller at the Operation Phoenix center were abruptly removed. District 43 officials offered no comment.

Miller, 48 of San Bernardino worked at the center overseeing recreation programs for underprivileged youth since 2006 and has been a Parks and Recreation Center employee since 1999. He also served as a Police Department volunteer as well as a community service supervisor.

Operation Phoenix, a controversial crime-fighting program is the brain child of Mayor Pat Morris designed to provide education, mentoring, games and athletics for some of the city’s most vulnerable youth.

San Bernardino police Lt. Scott Paterson said a background check on Miller was conducted and only revealed a previous petty theft incident.

Detectives revealed few details of the case, both to preserve elements of the criminal investigation and to protect the privacy of the victims. Miller could face life in prison if convicted on all counts.

Published in: on July 10, 2008 at 5:50 am  Leave a Comment  

Dennis Ferguson – Whining Pedophile

CONVICTED pedophile Dennis Ferguson will be moved from a property outside Carbrook, southeast of Brisbane, once court proceedings are finalised, Queensland Police Minister Judy Spence said.

Ferguson, 60, is being cared for by a church group at the Carbrook property at a cost to taxpayers of $1000 a day.

Angry locals who want Ferguson removed, renewed their protest outside the property today, burning an effigy, sounding horns and sirens, and using a megaphone to voice their anger.

Ms Spence last night met with federal, state and local government representatives over the situation. She said Ferguson’s stay in Carbrook was not a long term option.

“They will house him till the court proceedings are finished. So that’s up to the courts to determine how long that takes,” Ms Spence told Fairfax Radio in Brisbane.

Ferguson, who was freed on new child sex charges last week by a judge who said he would not get a fair trial because of publicity over his case, has already been run out of a community at Miles, in the state’s south.

The Queensland Government has lodged an appeal against District Court Judge Hugh Botting’s decision. It is listed for hearing on July 22.

Premier Anna Bligh said yesterday that police surveillance would continue at Ferguson’s property “24 hours a day, seven days a week”.

“The police presence at the moment is as much to ensure there is no threat to public safety as it is to monitor Mr Ferguson and frankly that’s just something we have to keep monitoring,” Ms Bligh said.

Recently retired Queensland Family Court judge and child protection advocate Tim Carmody called for convicted pedophiles moved into communities to be publicly identified.

Mr Carmody, SC, told the Courier Mail that states and territories needed to agree to a uniform version of the US-styled Megan’s Law.

“I think there’s a compelling argument for it in 2008, in the case of some offenders,” he said.

Child protection campaigner Hetty Johnston said yesterday the angry response to Ferguson’s presence had probably ended any chance of Queensland adopting a public register of serious sexual offenders, similar to the United States’ Megan’s Law.

Ms Johnston said that after alleged sightings of Ferguson in public she was fearful people who vaguely resembled Ferguson could be “beaten up”.

Published in: on July 10, 2008 at 4:44 am  Comments (1)