Paul Brauer – Repeat Sex Offender

A convicted sex offender was sent to prison for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl who lived in the Cedar Rapids apartment complex he managed.

Paul Brauer, 54, will spend up to 10 years in prison and pay a $1,000 fine following his guilty plea to third-degree sexual abuse and sentencing Jan. 11.

He admitted he forced the girl to perform sex acts at the apartment complex, according to court documents.

Brauer had been the manager of 26 Aossey Lane SW No. 1 at Village Southwest for about a month when the assault happened.

In 1992, Brauer was convicted of the same charge. In that case he admitted performing a sex act with a 9-year-old girl.

If the current case had gone to trial, court records show that another alleged victim would have been called to testify that Brauer sexually assaulted her when she was 10 in 2000.

When Brauer is released from prison, he must register as a sexual predator on the Iowa Sexual Offender Registry.

Published in: on January 25, 2008 at 4:00 pm  Leave a Comment  

Thomas Edwin Russell – Repeat Sex Offender


A Level 3 registered sex offender already facing a rape charge in Washington County is also accused of raping two girls in Benton County.

Thomas Edwin Russell, 53, appeared Wednesday morning before Circuit Judge Tom Keith for a bond hearing. The judge set bond at $ 500, 000.

Russell’s placement on the sex-offender registry occurred when he was convicted in Washington County of raping a 9-year-old girl.

He currently faces a Washington County charge of raping an 11-year-old girl. A trial is set for Tuesday.

His Benton County arrest happened Wednesday at the Washington County Detention Center, where he was being held.

Russell was arrested for rape, a class Y felony punishable with a sentence ranging from 10 to 40 years or life in prison, and first-degree terroristic threatening, a class D felony punishable with up to six years in prison.

Russell is accused of raping two girls – 11 and 12 years old. Russell was friends with the families of the children, court documents state. The 11-year-old girl is the same alleged victim in the Washington County case.

“(Russell ) will likely be charged with two counts of rape,” Deputy Prosecutor Mike Armstrong said. “Police are investigating whether there’s a third victim.”

Armstrong expects to file formal charges against Russell in the near future.

The affidavit contains graphic details from the alleged victims and other witnesses about the abuse they claim the girls endured.

The 12-year-old told police Russell threatened to kill her and her family if she told anyone about the abuse, according to court documents.

Rogers police began investigating the case after receiving information concerning Russell having an inappropriate relationship with one of the girls.

Russell served 15 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction after being convicted of first-degree sexual abuse involving the 9-yearold girl. He was arrested in March for failure to comply with sex-offender registration requirements, Armstrong said.

Russell was already being held in the Washington County jail in lieu of $ 100, 000 bond.

Armstrong recommended Russell’s bond be set at $ 150, 000 for the Benton County case.

Public Defender Scott McElveen, who represented Russell at the bond hearing, asked that a reasonable bond be set.

McElveen said Russell is a lifelong resident of Washington County and has no history of failure to appear.

Keith considered the allegations against Russell, his history and Russell’s prior court appearances. Keith said his overriding concern is the nature of the allegations against Russell, and “if true, makes (Russell ) a predator – serious, serious predator.”

Keith set Russell’s bond at $ 500, 000. If released on bond, the judge ordered that Russell be placed on a GPS monitor.

Russell’s Benton County arraignment is scheduled for 8: 30 a.m. March 3.

Thomas Edwin Russell – Repeat Sex Offender


A Level 3 registered sex offender already facing a rape charge in Washington County is also accused of raping two girls in Benton County.

Thomas Edwin Russell, 53, appeared Wednesday morning before Circuit Judge Tom Keith for a bond hearing. The judge set bond at $ 500, 000.

Russell’s placement on the sex-offender registry occurred when he was convicted in Washington County of raping a 9-year-old girl.

He currently faces a Washington County charge of raping an 11-year-old girl. A trial is set for Tuesday.

His Benton County arrest happened Wednesday at the Washington County Detention Center, where he was being held.

Russell was arrested for rape, a class Y felony punishable with a sentence ranging from 10 to 40 years or life in prison, and first-degree terroristic threatening, a class D felony punishable with up to six years in prison.

Russell is accused of raping two girls – 11 and 12 years old. Russell was friends with the families of the children, court documents state. The 11-year-old girl is the same alleged victim in the Washington County case.

“(Russell ) will likely be charged with two counts of rape,” Deputy Prosecutor Mike Armstrong said. “Police are investigating whether there’s a third victim.”

Armstrong expects to file formal charges against Russell in the near future.

The affidavit contains graphic details from the alleged victims and other witnesses about the abuse they claim the girls endured.

The 12-year-old told police Russell threatened to kill her and her family if she told anyone about the abuse, according to court documents.

Rogers police began investigating the case after receiving information concerning Russell having an inappropriate relationship with one of the girls.

Russell served 15 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction after being convicted of first-degree sexual abuse involving the 9-yearold girl. He was arrested in March for failure to comply with sex-offender registration requirements, Armstrong said.

Russell was already being held in the Washington County jail in lieu of $ 100, 000 bond.

Armstrong recommended Russell’s bond be set at $ 150, 000 for the Benton County case.

Public Defender Scott McElveen, who represented Russell at the bond hearing, asked that a reasonable bond be set.

McElveen said Russell is a lifelong resident of Washington County and has no history of failure to appear.

Keith considered the allegations against Russell, his history and Russell’s prior court appearances. Keith said his overriding concern is the nature of the allegations against Russell, and “if true, makes (Russell ) a predator – serious, serious predator.”

Keith set Russell’s bond at $ 500, 000. If released on bond, the judge ordered that Russell be placed on a GPS monitor.

Russell’s Benton County arraignment is scheduled for 8: 30 a.m. March 3.

Thomas Edwin Russell – Repeat Sex Offender


A Level 3 registered sex offender already facing a rape charge in Washington County is also accused of raping two girls in Benton County.

Thomas Edwin Russell, 53, appeared Wednesday morning before Circuit Judge Tom Keith for a bond hearing. The judge set bond at $ 500, 000.

Russell’s placement on the sex-offender registry occurred when he was convicted in Washington County of raping a 9-year-old girl.

He currently faces a Washington County charge of raping an 11-year-old girl. A trial is set for Tuesday.

His Benton County arrest happened Wednesday at the Washington County Detention Center, where he was being held.

Russell was arrested for rape, a class Y felony punishable with a sentence ranging from 10 to 40 years or life in prison, and first-degree terroristic threatening, a class D felony punishable with up to six years in prison.

Russell is accused of raping two girls – 11 and 12 years old. Russell was friends with the families of the children, court documents state. The 11-year-old girl is the same alleged victim in the Washington County case.

“(Russell ) will likely be charged with two counts of rape,” Deputy Prosecutor Mike Armstrong said. “Police are investigating whether there’s a third victim.”

Armstrong expects to file formal charges against Russell in the near future.

The affidavit contains graphic details from the alleged victims and other witnesses about the abuse they claim the girls endured.

The 12-year-old told police Russell threatened to kill her and her family if she told anyone about the abuse, according to court documents.

Rogers police began investigating the case after receiving information concerning Russell having an inappropriate relationship with one of the girls.

Russell served 15 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction after being convicted of first-degree sexual abuse involving the 9-yearold girl. He was arrested in March for failure to comply with sex-offender registration requirements, Armstrong said.

Russell was already being held in the Washington County jail in lieu of $ 100, 000 bond.

Armstrong recommended Russell’s bond be set at $ 150, 000 for the Benton County case.

Public Defender Scott McElveen, who represented Russell at the bond hearing, asked that a reasonable bond be set.

McElveen said Russell is a lifelong resident of Washington County and has no history of failure to appear.

Keith considered the allegations against Russell, his history and Russell’s prior court appearances. Keith said his overriding concern is the nature of the allegations against Russell, and “if true, makes (Russell ) a predator – serious, serious predator.”

Keith set Russell’s bond at $ 500, 000. If released on bond, the judge ordered that Russell be placed on a GPS monitor.

Russell’s Benton County arraignment is scheduled for 8: 30 a.m. March 3.

James Douglas Shaw – Repeat Sex Offender


A Bakersfield man was sentenced to 190 years in prison on child molestation charges Thursday.

James Douglas Shaw, 56, was found guilty in December of six felony counts, including committing lewd and lascivious acts with a child and annoying or molesting a child while having specific prior criminal convictions.

He was arrested May 9.

Early Thursday morning, Judge Michael Bush sentenced Shaw to 165 years to life, plus an additional 25 years, said Deputy District Attorney Mark Pafford, who prosecuted the case.

James Douglas Shaw is not Jim Shaw of the Buckaroos.

James Shaw pleaded no contest to sexual battery in 2000 and served 90 days in jail, according to the Kern County Superior Court Web site.

Published in: on January 25, 2008 at 7:35 am  Leave a Comment  

James Douglas Shaw – Repeat Sex Offender


A Bakersfield man was sentenced to 190 years in prison on child molestation charges Thursday.

James Douglas Shaw, 56, was found guilty in December of six felony counts, including committing lewd and lascivious acts with a child and annoying or molesting a child while having specific prior criminal convictions.

He was arrested May 9.

Early Thursday morning, Judge Michael Bush sentenced Shaw to 165 years to life, plus an additional 25 years, said Deputy District Attorney Mark Pafford, who prosecuted the case.

James Douglas Shaw is not Jim Shaw of the Buckaroos.

James Shaw pleaded no contest to sexual battery in 2000 and served 90 days in jail, according to the Kern County Superior Court Web site.

Published in: on January 25, 2008 at 7:35 am  Leave a Comment  

James Douglas Shaw – Repeat Sex Offender


A Bakersfield man was sentenced to 190 years in prison on child molestation charges Thursday.

James Douglas Shaw, 56, was found guilty in December of six felony counts, including committing lewd and lascivious acts with a child and annoying or molesting a child while having specific prior criminal convictions.

He was arrested May 9.

Early Thursday morning, Judge Michael Bush sentenced Shaw to 165 years to life, plus an additional 25 years, said Deputy District Attorney Mark Pafford, who prosecuted the case.

James Douglas Shaw is not Jim Shaw of the Buckaroos.

James Shaw pleaded no contest to sexual battery in 2000 and served 90 days in jail, according to the Kern County Superior Court Web site.

Published in: on January 25, 2008 at 7:35 am  Leave a Comment  

Repeat SEx Offender abducts 7 year old from school

A suspect police believed snatched a young girl from a Centreville elementary school Tuesday while wearing an electronic-monitoring bracelet remained in custody Wednesday afternoon.

After entering the school through a door that had been left ajar, the suspect told the girl, whom he’d found drinking from a water fountain, that a teacher wanted to see her outside, police said.

The suspect also is accused of attempting to sexually assault the child. A witness saw him lying on top of the girl on the ground outside the school building near the Dumpsters.

Centreville Police Detective Kiwan Guyton said the man is a 20-year-old registered sex offender on parole for a crime he committed as a juvenile in 2004. Guyton would not discuss the nature of that crime.

Guyton was withholding the identity of the suspect pending charges. Police expect to complete their investigation and send the case today to the St. Clair County state’s attorney, he said.

The girl was kidnapped from Lalumier Elementary School at 6702 Bond Ave. at 2:32 p.m. Tuesday.

The man entered the school through a door off the gym/cafeteria, went through the multipurpose room and approached the girl in a hallway, Cahokia School District 187 Superintendent Jana Bechtoldt said.

“Obviously, we’re very distraught over this situation,” Bechtoldt said. “Our policy is to have all the doors in the school building locked during the school day except for one door by the office. Unfortunately, in this instance, the door was locked but the door was slightly ajar. The last person that had either entered or exited that door did not make sure the door was latched. The door was locked, but it didn’t shut all the way. The doors were apparently out of alignment.”

The door was repaired Wednesday to ensure it will close automatically, Bechtoldt said. All other doors throughout the school building were being checked Wednesday to ensure they all fully closed.

Lalumier has about 370 students in kindergarten through fifth grade.

The suspect approached the girl as she was getting a drink from a water fountain and told her a teacher wanted to see her outside.

“She went outside with him,” Bechtoldt said. “She was just doing what she thought she was supposed to do.”

Guyton said the mother of the 7-year-old girl called police when her daughter came home crying and in disarray. He added that the girl did not know her kidnapper.

“We were advised that the young man came into the building and possibly took one student out,” Guyton said. ” We caught him a short time later.”

Police arrested the suspect in the 6900 block of Missouri Avenue.

A man from a nearby apartment complex saw the two and shouted at the man. The man took off on foot, and the girl ran home.

“I knew something was wrong when my daughter came home without her coat and book bag. She ran home to me,” the child’s mother said.

The child’s mother is not being identified because her daughter is the victim of a sex crime and identifying the mother could also identify the child. The News-Democrat does not identify victims of sex crimes.

“He took my baby outside. He was lying on her. Somebody saw him lying on her and yelled at him and scared him. He got off of her. The man who saw him told my baby to run home,” the mother said.

The mother said her daughter was very upset.

The child was not injured during the kidnapping and attempted assault and was not taken to a doctor.

“I just thank God for protecting my baby. God is good. God is always good,” the mother said.

She said she is unsure whether she will allow her child to return to Lalumier.

Lalumier parents picking up their children after school Wednesday said the news shocked them. “I really didn’t know what to think,” said Tanya Townsend, whose children attend kindergarten and first and third grades at the school. “But if it weren’t this school, it would’ve been another school. (Sexual predators) have their ways of luring kids in.”

School officials reviewed security policies and are considering several options to beef up security at the school, Bechtoldt said.

“We are looking at adding 17 new video cameras in the building so all the doors, entrances and hallways can be monitored continuously throughout the day,” Bechtoldt said. “We are also looking at the possibility of having all the doors locked during the day and having everybody buzzed in and out of the school. I know it won’t be very popular with some parents, but it’s something we are looking at to protect our children.”

Social workers were at the school throughout the day to meet with children and parents and discuss any fears or concerns following the incident.

Published in: on January 25, 2008 at 7:32 am  Leave a Comment  

Benjamin Rzadca – Member of BoyChat – Repeat Sex Offender


A registered sex offender is behind bars for an alleged incident in a men’s locker room. Florissant police say the man was trying to draw the attention of several young boys.

Benjamin Rzadca, 27, of Black Jack, faces felony charges for sexual misconduct involving a child.

Florissant Police Chief William Karabas said eight boys, ages nine through 11, along with two men, reported the incident. Karabas said witnesses reported seeing Rzadca inappropriately touching himself in the James J. Eagan Center locker room Jan. 13. The man did not say anything, witnesses said.

They boys had just returned to the locker room from swimming, Karabas said.

Florissant police later caught Rzadca a few blocks away.

“He did make some tacit admissions,” Karabas said.

Karabas said he is unfamiliar with Rzadca’s criminal history, but he did confirm the suspect is a registered sex offender.

Police call the incident isolated. But even Florissant’s mayor wants to do more to protect children and adults who use the facility.

“We have to use the presumption of not being found guilty,” Mayor Robert Lowery said. “But nevertheless I have eight children that said he did this.”

Later this month, Florissant city council will take up a measure proposed by the mayor to tighten security at the facility.

Rzadca is being held on $35,000 bond in St. Louis County.

Published in: on January 25, 2008 at 6:46 am  Leave a Comment  

Benjamin Rzadca – Member of BoyChat – Repeat Sex Offender


A registered sex offender is behind bars for an alleged incident in a men’s locker room. Florissant police say the man was trying to draw the attention of several young boys.

Benjamin Rzadca, 27, of Black Jack, faces felony charges for sexual misconduct involving a child.

Florissant Police Chief William Karabas said eight boys, ages nine through 11, along with two men, reported the incident. Karabas said witnesses reported seeing Rzadca inappropriately touching himself in the James J. Eagan Center locker room Jan. 13. The man did not say anything, witnesses said.

They boys had just returned to the locker room from swimming, Karabas said.

Florissant police later caught Rzadca a few blocks away.

“He did make some tacit admissions,” Karabas said.

Karabas said he is unfamiliar with Rzadca’s criminal history, but he did confirm the suspect is a registered sex offender.

Police call the incident isolated. But even Florissant’s mayor wants to do more to protect children and adults who use the facility.

“We have to use the presumption of not being found guilty,” Mayor Robert Lowery said. “But nevertheless I have eight children that said he did this.”

Later this month, Florissant city council will take up a measure proposed by the mayor to tighten security at the facility.

Rzadca is being held on $35,000 bond in St. Louis County.

Published in: on January 25, 2008 at 6:46 am  Leave a Comment