New Jersey enacts law limiting sex offenders’ Internet use

New Jersey sex offenders’ Internet use can be sharply curtailed under a new law enacted Thursday.

The new measure, signed into law by Acting Governor Richard J. Codey, D-West Orange, bars convicted sex offenders — who used the Internet to commit their crimes — from going online unless it relates to their job or to finding a new job.

The new law, which goes into effect in 60 days, also gives the state broad authority to impose similar restrictions on other, high-risk sex offenders who are permanently tracked by parole officers.

Supporters cautioned that the new law is not a fool-proof panacea, since libraries, Internet cafes and cell phones with online services still give sex offenders opportunities to use the Internet anonymously. Still, Codey, the Senate president who is filling in as acting governor while Governor Corzine is out of the country and on vacation, said the new law maintains New Jersey’s role as a national leader in the protection of children against sexual predators.

“Every day we hear another horror story about some unsavory character using the Internet to prey on our children,” Codey said during a morning bill signing ceremony at New Jersey State Police headquarters in West Trenton. “This legislation will give us some of the toughest tools in the nation.”

The new law supplements New Jersey’s Megan’s Law restrictions, which require law enforcement officials to notify residents when a convicted sex offender moves into a neighborhood. The law, enacted in 1994, is named after Megan Kanka, a 7-year-old girl who was raped and murdered by a twice-convicted sex offender who lived on her street in Hamilton Township, a suburb of Trenton.

Only two other states, Florida and Nevada, already restrict the Internet use of convicted sex offenders.

“This is landmark legislation,” said state Assemblywoman Linda Greenstein, a Democrat from Mercer County who represent Hamilton Township.

The new law will give judges the authority to impose a sentence that bars convicted sex offenders from using computers or any other devices to go online for any reason not related to their job or finding a new job upon their release from prison.

It also gives state law enforcement officials the authority to monitor the Internet usage of other convicted sex offenders who are considered a risk to commit another offense.

Sex offenders caught violating the new law would face penalties of up to 18 months in jail and those caught using the Internet in attempt to commit another sex crime would face up to five years in prison.

Codey introduced the legislation in 2006 and it passed unanimously in both the Assembly and Senate earlier this month.

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 10:20 pm  Leave a Comment  

Dustin Emmett Saunders – Charged Child Pornography


Police arrested a Portsmouth man Sunday on child pornography and other charges involving a 9-year-old child.

Dustin Emmett Saunders, 26, is charged with five counts of possession with intent to distribute child pornography; five counts of possession of child pornography; aggravated sexual battery, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to a news release from Detective Jan Westerbeck.

Police began investigating the case on Dec. 22 after receiving a report from the parents of the 9-year-old child about Saunders. When police searched Saunders’ home on the 4100 block of Scott Street, they found child pornography, the release stated.

Police anticipate that there may be other victims in the case, possibly in other jurisdictions, according to the release.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (562-5887).

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 9:23 pm  Leave a Comment  

Dustin Emmett Saunders – Charged Child Pornography


Police arrested a Portsmouth man Sunday on child pornography and other charges involving a 9-year-old child.

Dustin Emmett Saunders, 26, is charged with five counts of possession with intent to distribute child pornography; five counts of possession of child pornography; aggravated sexual battery, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to a news release from Detective Jan Westerbeck.

Police began investigating the case on Dec. 22 after receiving a report from the parents of the 9-year-old child about Saunders. When police searched Saunders’ home on the 4100 block of Scott Street, they found child pornography, the release stated.

Police anticipate that there may be other victims in the case, possibly in other jurisdictions, according to the release.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (562-5887).

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 9:23 pm  Leave a Comment  

Jimmie L. Mable – Child Molester Released


A sex offender convicted of assaulting children will be released on Wednesday to live at Rock Valley Community Programs, 203 W. Sunny Lane.

Jimmie L. Mable, 60, was convicted on Oct. 14, 1994, of first-degree sexual assault of a child and second-degree sexual assault of a child.

Mable was convicted after sexually assaulting his minor female relatives. He threatened to kill both victims.

Mable is to have no unsupervised contact with minors and no contact with his victims. He is forbidden to drink alcohol or take drugs and must stay out of taverns, bars and liquor stores. He also must wear an electronic monitor.

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 6:02 pm  Leave a Comment  

Jimmie L. Mable – Child Molester Released


A sex offender convicted of assaulting children will be released on Wednesday to live at Rock Valley Community Programs, 203 W. Sunny Lane.

Jimmie L. Mable, 60, was convicted on Oct. 14, 1994, of first-degree sexual assault of a child and second-degree sexual assault of a child.

Mable was convicted after sexually assaulting his minor female relatives. He threatened to kill both victims.

Mable is to have no unsupervised contact with minors and no contact with his victims. He is forbidden to drink alcohol or take drugs and must stay out of taverns, bars and liquor stores. He also must wear an electronic monitor.

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 6:02 pm  Leave a Comment  

Leon Baldomero Villarreal

A sex offender who was out of jail for less than two weeks before being arrested is now back in prison after failing to register as a predatory offender.

Leon Baldomero Villarreal, 22, of Worthington, was released from incarceration Oct. 13 after serving time for third-degree criminal sexual conduct for having sexual contact with a 13-yearold girl. Upon his release, he provided an address for a residence where he would live. He met with a probation agent a few days later and was given instruction about keeping an address on file. He was told if he changed his address, he had to register the new one immediately.

On Oct. 17, the agent went to the address provided by Villarreal and was told by the occupant Villarreal did not live there. A warrant for his arrest was issued, and he was picked up by authorities Oct. 24.

During a recent revocation hearing, Villarreal was sentenced to 48 months at a state correctional facility after admitting he had violated the terms and conditions of his supervision by failing to register.

He will serve two-thirds of the time in prison and the remainder on supervised release, providing he abides by the rules of the institution and has no infractions.

Villarreal was originally charged in June with two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct against a girl who had been reported as a runaway. He pleaded guilty to one count in July and was sentenced in August.

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 5:18 pm  Leave a Comment  

Earl Francis Anthony – Child Molester

A 57-year-old Denton, Md. man is behind bars after being charged with sexually abusing an 8-year-old girl.

Maryland State Police say that on Dec. 14, troopers were contacted to investigate a report of a child sexual abuse incident alleged to have occurred the day before in Greensboro.

Police say that it was learned that the suspect, Earl Francis Anthony Sr., had inappropriately touched an 8-year-old girl.

Police say that through further investigation and a forensic interview with the victim by Caroline County Department of Social Services, it was learned that the incident had occurred while the suspect was baby-sitting the victim.

On Dec. 21, Anthony was arrested and charged with sexual abuse of a minor, child abuse, third- and fourth-degree sexual offense and second-degree assault.

Anthony was jailed on $15,000 bond.

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 5:13 pm  Leave a Comment  

Michael David Simpson – Sexually Violent Predator


Fort Morgan police will host a community meeting Thursday, Jan. 2, on a sexually violent predator moving into the area.

The meeting is scheduled at 7 p.m. at the Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer, 1100 W. Platte Ave.

State law requires such a meeting when a sex offender classified as a sexually violent predator moves into a community.

The man moving into the area is Michael David Simpson, 49, who is living at 505 Euclid St.

He was convicted of rape and classified as a sex offender, which required him to register. He was later discharged and subsequently reclassified as a sexually violent predator.

At meetings involving sexually violent predators, residents are reminded that they are not to harass the subject. The meetings are intended to be informational only and alert residents to the presence of such a person in the community.

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 4:32 pm  Leave a Comment  

Michael David Simpson – Sexually Violent Predator


Fort Morgan police will host a community meeting Thursday, Jan. 2, on a sexually violent predator moving into the area.

The meeting is scheduled at 7 p.m. at the Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer, 1100 W. Platte Ave.

State law requires such a meeting when a sex offender classified as a sexually violent predator moves into a community.

The man moving into the area is Michael David Simpson, 49, who is living at 505 Euclid St.

He was convicted of rape and classified as a sex offender, which required him to register. He was later discharged and subsequently reclassified as a sexually violent predator.

At meetings involving sexually violent predators, residents are reminded that they are not to harass the subject. The meetings are intended to be informational only and alert residents to the presence of such a person in the community.

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 4:32 pm  Leave a Comment  

Visitors now stopped for district check-in

The newest security check-in process at Carroll ISD has already deterred one registered sex offender from entering the campus. Raptor Technologies V-soft visitor tracking system uses a swipe of the visitor’s driver’s license to check through a national registered sex offender’s database.

“We’re just checking to make sure that people with prior offenses do not gain access to our campuses,” said Julie Thannum, Director of Communications and Marketing.

Thannum also said the program only checks for sexual offenders and does not give information about tickets or other offenses.

There has been one positive hit, identifying a construction worker last month.

“The offender chose to leave the campus before the police arrived on the scene,” Thannum said.

CISD administrators piloted the new security check-in system at five campuses last month.

Johnson Elementary, Dawson Middle, Rockenbaugh Elementary, Carroll High and Carroll Senior High schools began using the equipment. The remaining seven campuses have the program but are not using it yet.

“The pilot gives us the opportunity to work out any bugs or procedure problems, and it gives people a chance to ask questions before we implement it at all 11 campuses,” Thannum said.

One of the bugs to work out is issues concerning large events where families are visiting and the check-in process could be significantly slowed down Thannum said.

“The system is not really designed for occasions where 100s of parents are coming to a school all at once, like a parent’s day or a choir performance,” Thannum said. “It’s more for visitors, people making deliveries and contractors who are entering the campuses during the day.”

There are also occasions when a false hit comes up, Thannum said. If the database matches a name of an offender with the name on the driver’s license, it may not be the person on the campus.

“Fortunately, a picture comes up, so you don’t get a mistaken identity,” she said.

The new security procedures are in addition to the existing check-in process and safety measures CISD has already implemented.

“This is just one more thing to add to our overall safety initiatives,” Thannum said. “We had the surveillance equipment installed last year as part of the bond projects and we do background checks on people who work one-on one with students.”

Published in: on December 27, 2007 at 12:31 pm  Leave a Comment