David Evans – Internet Predator

A 48-year-old man is accused of using a popular Internet site to meet and encourage teenage girls to participate in child pornography.

Published reports say David Evans posed as a 20-year-old on his MySpace page.

Cheektowaga police and the FBI have linked Evans to six teenage girls so far, and believe ten others have been victimized.

Published in: on December 22, 2007 at 7:28 pm  Leave a Comment  

Jacob Silva – Soccer Coach – Child Predator

A Concord police detective testified in court yesterday that the laptop and computer hard drive used by accused soccer coach Jacob Silva is “heavily loaded” with child pornography. And there are still 8,000 videos on Silva’s laptop the police have not yet reviewed, according to Detective Mark Dumas.

Dumas said the investigation against Silva, who is accused of soliciting child pornography from players of the Concord-based Express Soccer Club, has expanded beyond New England and is likely to be taken over by the federal authorities. Silva was a coach with that club for four years but coached in many other capacities elsewhere.

He was also recently in touch with 250 teenage boys on a Facebook website he maintained under the alias “Jamie,” a 15-year-old girl, Dumas said.

Silva, 27, of Manchester was in Concord District Court yesterday with attorney Peter Anderson in hopes of getting his $130,000 cash-only bail reduced so he could be home for Christmas. Anderson said while the charges against Silva are serious, he asked Judge Gerard Boyle to consider that Silva did turn himself in and has not been charged with sexual assault.

At the close of yesterday’s hearing, Boyle told Silva he had intended to lower the bail until Dumas testified about the discovery of child pornography. Instead, Boyle kept bail at $130,000 cash only.

Silva was arrested Dec. 14 and charged with 26 offenses that included soliciting child pornography, prohibited computer use, endangering the welfare of a child and prostitution. The charges identified 10 male victims, ages 13 to 16, and allege that Silva used an online site to ask the teenagers to expose themselves, create a video or photo of themselves masturbating, and simulate sex acts with another person.

In some cases, Silva communicated with the boys online while pretending to be “Jamie,” Dumas said.

Thursday afternoon, the case was transferred to the Merrimack County Superior Court when a grand jury indicted Silva on 22 charges alleging most of the same conduct. Four of the earlier charges did not make the indictment: two for prostitution, one for criminal solicitation and one for prohibited computer use for allegedly using a computer to entice a child to commit indecent exposure.

The other charges remain: 10 counts of prohibited computer use; six counts of endangering the welfare of a child; five counts of criminal solicitation; and one count of prostitution. Each carries a prison sentence of 3½ to 7 years.

The police seized Silva’s laptop computer and hard drive from his Manchester home in early December, after three former players of the Express Soccer Club told club president Gary Hirshberg of Concord that they’d had inappropriate communications with Silva. Hirshberg and Paul Maggiotto, the club’s vice president, immediately alerted the police and the nearly 300 parents whose children play in the soccer club.

Ever since, the police have been examining the computer equipment, talking to the alleged victims and reaching out to authorities in other jurisdictions where Silva has coached.

Dumas described the images that have been reviewed as pornographic, with male genitalia. In addition to the images, videos and deleted files found on Silva’s computer equipment, Dumas said the police found troubling evidence on Silva’s Facebook account. Facebook keeps records of its users’ online activities for only 90 days, Dumas said. But in that three-month window, Silva amassed a list of 250 “friends” – all male high school students, Dumas said.

Those “friends” go to a variety of high schools and do not include any of the 10 boys already identified in the criminal charges, Dumas said. “The scope of this investigation is overwhelming,” Dumas said yesterday in court. “It’s spreading across the U.S.”

Dumas said he believes Silva has been conducting inappropriate communications with teenage boys for a number of years because the police have talked with alleged victims just starting to play soccer as well as college students who played for Silva years ago.

Dumas said the police are concerned that other alleged victims will be reluctant to come forward because males have trouble discussing “male-on-male” misconduct. The police are also concerned for some of the known victims and have helped them connect with counselors, Dumas said.

Silva appeared in court yesterday in jail-issued orange pants and T-shirt. Silva did not address the court. Anderson said Silva would like to post bail and resume his own counseling with a psychologist. Silva is being held at the Merrimack County jail.

Published in: on December 22, 2007 at 7:24 pm  Leave a Comment  

Jon C. Hanson – Indicted Possession and Distribution of Child Pornography

“The Department of Justice has made the protection of our nation’s children a top priority through Protect Safe Childhood, and prosecutions such as this further that priority,” U.S. Attorney Steven Biskupic said in a statement. “Regardless of profession or position, those involved in child pornography crimes will be prosecuted and will face real time in federal prison.


RACINE — A former local funeral homeowner was indicted Thursday for possession and distribution of child pornography by a federal grand jury.

Jon C. Hanson, 48, of Franksville, former owner of Hanson Funeral Home in Racine, was charged with one count of child pornography. If convicted of the possession charge, Hanson faces a maximum of 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

If convicted of distributing child pornography, he faces a mandatory minimum sentence of five years in prison and a maximum penalty of 20 years.

Hanson’s attorney, Christy Hall, of Richards and Hall, S.C., was unavailable for comment Thursday afternoon.

Hanson possessed images of minors engaging in sexually explicit conduct and used a computer connected to the Internet to distribute such images, according to the complaint. The images allegedly included sadistic images of pre-pubescent children.

Hanson allegedly transported four sexually explicit images depicting girls as young as about 8 years old and had five images of the same nature of girls as young as about 5 years old at his Franksville residence. Hanson also allegedly had a half dozen sexually explicit photographs and movies of girls approximately as young as 1 year old at the funeral home, 3014 Northwestern Ave., where he was working.

The case against Hanson stems from a multistate investigation by the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to a statement released by the Department of Justice.

“The Department of Justice has made the protection of our nation’s children a top priority through Protect Safe Childhood, and prosecutions such as this further that priority,” U.S. Attorney Steven Biskupic said in a statement. “Regardless of profession or position, those involved in child pornography crimes will be prosecuted and will face real time in federal prison.

Published in: on December 22, 2007 at 6:13 pm  Leave a Comment  

Marcie Lynn Burroughs – Repeat Sex Offender


A Waynesburg woman awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty earlier this year to sexually assaulting a teenage girl has been found by the court to be a sexually violent predator under Megan’s Law.

Waynesburg police arrested Marcie Lynn Burroughs, 38, in September 2006 on numerous charges stemming from allegations that she engaged in sexual intercourse with a 15-year-old girl in July 2006 at Burroughs’s apartment on South Washington Street.

Burroughs pleaded guilty in February in Greene County Court to charges of statutory sexual assault, indecent assault, corruption of minors and unlawful contact with a minor. Charges of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and aggravated indecent assault were withdrawn at the time of her plea, according to court records.

An assessment was then ordered to determine whether Burroughs would be required to register under Megan’s Law for the rest of her life. A hearing was held in October, in which experts testified whether or not Burroughs should be classified as a sexually violent predator, according to court records.

Based on information presented at the October hearing, Greene County Judge H. Terry Grimes officially issued a court order on Dec. 14 indicating that he determined Burroughs was a sexually violent predator.

The ruling means that she will be required to register under Megan’s Law and will have to report to authorities for the rest of her life.

Grimes also ordered that Burroughs would be sentenced for her guilty plea at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 3, 2008, in his courtroom.

She has been incarcerated in Greene County Jail since her arrest after failing to post bail, according to court records.

This was not the first time Burroughs was arrested on sex charges. In an unrelated case, she was arrested in April 2005 on allegations that she had sexual intercourse with four teenage boys between the ages of 13 and 15 at various times at her apartment on High Street in Waynesburg between March 2004 and February 2005.

She pleaded guilty in August 2005 to four counts of statutory sexual assault and was sentenced to serve concurrent terms of 11 1/2 months to 23 1/2 months in Greene County Jail and was ordered to pay a $200 fine for each count. She also pleaded guilty to four counts of corruption of minors and was ordered to serve one year of probation and pay a $200 fine for each count.

She was given credit for time served, according to court records.

Published in: on December 22, 2007 at 5:39 pm  Leave a Comment  

Marcie Lynn Burroughs – Repeat Sex Offender


A Waynesburg woman awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty earlier this year to sexually assaulting a teenage girl has been found by the court to be a sexually violent predator under Megan’s Law.

Waynesburg police arrested Marcie Lynn Burroughs, 38, in September 2006 on numerous charges stemming from allegations that she engaged in sexual intercourse with a 15-year-old girl in July 2006 at Burroughs’s apartment on South Washington Street.

Burroughs pleaded guilty in February in Greene County Court to charges of statutory sexual assault, indecent assault, corruption of minors and unlawful contact with a minor. Charges of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and aggravated indecent assault were withdrawn at the time of her plea, according to court records.

An assessment was then ordered to determine whether Burroughs would be required to register under Megan’s Law for the rest of her life. A hearing was held in October, in which experts testified whether or not Burroughs should be classified as a sexually violent predator, according to court records.

Based on information presented at the October hearing, Greene County Judge H. Terry Grimes officially issued a court order on Dec. 14 indicating that he determined Burroughs was a sexually violent predator.

The ruling means that she will be required to register under Megan’s Law and will have to report to authorities for the rest of her life.

Grimes also ordered that Burroughs would be sentenced for her guilty plea at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 3, 2008, in his courtroom.

She has been incarcerated in Greene County Jail since her arrest after failing to post bail, according to court records.

This was not the first time Burroughs was arrested on sex charges. In an unrelated case, she was arrested in April 2005 on allegations that she had sexual intercourse with four teenage boys between the ages of 13 and 15 at various times at her apartment on High Street in Waynesburg between March 2004 and February 2005.

She pleaded guilty in August 2005 to four counts of statutory sexual assault and was sentenced to serve concurrent terms of 11 1/2 months to 23 1/2 months in Greene County Jail and was ordered to pay a $200 fine for each count. She also pleaded guilty to four counts of corruption of minors and was ordered to serve one year of probation and pay a $200 fine for each count.

She was given credit for time served, according to court records.

Published in: on December 22, 2007 at 5:39 pm  Leave a Comment  

WANTED: Sexual Predator in Sylmar

Police are tight-lipped today on details about the 24-year-old Sylmar man they picked up in connection with the attempted kidnapping of a little girl last week in North Hills.

The suspected sexual predator is believed to be the same man who grabbed a teenaged girl’s thigh near a convenience market just one hour before the toddler was snatched, and then dropped after another child started screaming.

“Further details will not be released, as this investigation is on- going,” a Los Angeles Police Department news release stated, and officers said they were unwilling to add any details.

The suspect has been the subject of intense news media coverage owing to surveillance pictures that showed him clearly case out the apartment hallway, and then calmly pick up the child and start to carry her off.

A playmate of about 3-4 years of age is seen running alongside the man, apparently screaming. The man drops the child and walks away in the tape, recorded in the evening of Dec. 14.

Police think that sexual predator is the same man who earlier had accosted a 17-year-old teen who was walking to a nearby store, when she approached by a man from the front who rubbed her thigh. The man smiled at the teen and walked away.

Published in: on December 22, 2007 at 3:09 pm  Leave a Comment  

Sara M. Schneider

Sara M. Schneider, 28, of Fond Du Lac, Wis., was arrested Saturday by the Pickens County Sheriff’s Office.

Ms. Schneider faces a charge of one count of criminal solicitation of a minor, which is a felony offense punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment, according to a South Carolina Attorney General’s Office news release. She also has been charged with one count of attempted criminal sexual conduct with a minor, a felony offense punishable by up to 20 years imprisonment.

According to the news release, beginning in summer this year, Ms. Schneider solicited sex on the Internet and over the telephone from a person she knew to be a 15-year-old boy. Ms. Schneider arranged to meet the boy for sex.

The boy’s family became aware of the situation and asked the Pickens County Sheriff’s Office for help. The Pickens office is a member of the South Carolina Attorney General Office’s Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.

Ms. Schneider was arrested when she arrived at the boy’s home in Liberty, according to the news release. She is serving a probationary sentence in Wisconsin for check fraud.

The Wisconsin Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force and the Greenville office of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement helped with investigation of the Liberty case.

The arrest was the 109th for the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force in South Carolina, according to the release. The case will be prosecuted by the attorney general’s office.

Officials could not be reached immediately Saturday for further information.

Published in: on December 22, 2007 at 2:47 pm  Leave a Comment  

Jesse Dwayne Brown – Internet Predator – Busted!

Sex predators in online chat rooms who think they’re talking to children might just be having a conversation with an undercover police officer.

That’s something Jesse Dwayne Brown, 46, of Binghamton, N.Y., found out the hard way, according to police.

Brown is the latest in a series of men charged by Barrett Township police in an ongoing effort to catch those who use the Internet to sexually victimize children.

Officer Ryan Venneman since last November has been operating a fake MySpace chat room account, posing as a 14-year-old girl.

“I would not start a conversation with any person unless they spoke with me first,” Venneman said.

Men have contacted and had graphic conversations with this “girl,” telling her how much they want to meet her in person and have sex. Since February, seven out-of-towners have traveled to Barrett Township to meet “her” and been arrested by police lying in wait.

Brown, who has three children, ages 11 to 16, and two stepchildren, ages 6 and 16, is the seventh.

Brown is charged with involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, statutory sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault, obscene and other sexual materials and performances, illegal contact with a minor, possessing an instrument of a crime, indecent assault, corrupting a minor, criminal solicitation and criminal attempt.

He was arraigned Friday before Mountainhome Magisterial District Judge John Whitesell and placed in Monroe County Correctional Facility under $75,000 bail. He will appear before Whitesell at a future date for a preliminary hearing, at which point the judge will decide if there’s enough evidence to send Brown’s case to trial in county court.

Among the six others arrested since February and awaiting trial are defendants who come from as far away as Rhode Island, New York and Maryland.A police affidavit gives the following account in Brown’s case:

On June 16, Brown made contact with Venneman, who was posing as a 14-year-old girl named “Kayla,” in the MySpace chat room.

Brown began talking to Kayla, and during the next several months told her in graphic detail what he wanted to do to her sexually.

He told her he wanted to marry her on one occasion and showed her sexually explicit photos on another occasion.

Across the rest of the state, the Child Predator Unit under the Attorney General’s Office has agents posing undercover in online chat rooms. Between its inception last year and September, the Child Predator Unit charged 89 people with Internet-related sexual offenses.

Published in: on December 22, 2007 at 2:44 pm  Leave a Comment