Thomas Kartes – Soccer coach Guilty! Child Porn

A federal judge on Dec. 19 sentenced Thomas Kartes, 45, of Fairfax to 60 months in prison for attempting to receive child pornography via the Internet.

Kartes also was sentenced to serve 10 years of supervised release following the completion of his prison term. In addition, he is required to register as a sex offender in any jurisdiction in which he lives, works or goes to school.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office Eastern District of Virginia, Kartes previously served as a major in the U.S. Army. He was also commissioner and coach of the Braddock Road Youth Soccer Club, where he was involved with the U14 girls soccer program. Kartes also served as an assistant Scoutmaster with a local Boy Scout Troop.

Court documents and court proceedings indicate Kartes used his personal credit card and home computer to subscribe to a number of commercial child pornography Web sites. Between Oct. 2006 and April 2007, Kartes spent about $780 on such subscriptions.

Authorities said a July 11, 2007 search of Kartes’ residence revealed computers containing more than 350 images of child pornography. Kartes told federal agents that he had been subscribing to commercial child pornography Web sites for about four years.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 7:13 pm  Comments (1)  

Dr. Owen Panner Jr – Guilty! Production of Child Porn

SACRAMENTO—A former Modoc County doctor has been sentenced to three years in federal prison for possession of child pornography.

Owen Panner Jr., 60, was convicted of using hidden cameras to record the pelvic exams of two teenage girls in 2001. Three years later, two hunters found the videotapes buried in a container in a field.

In imposing the prison sentence, U.S. District Judge Garland Burrell said Panner’s conduct was “appalling and deplorable.”

He also ordered Panner, of Alturas, to spend three years on supervised probation after being released from custody.

Alturas is about 200 miles northeast of Sacramento.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 7:11 pm  Leave a Comment  

Jennifer Jacobi – Guilty of child molestation

A Greenville woman was sentenced in federal court to 35 years in prison following her guilty plea to two counts of producing child pornography, the U.S. attorney’s office announced today.

Investigators said Jennifer Jacobi, 35, produced child pornography in 2005 involving two children ages 9 and 6. The images were discovered in Maine in February 2006 during an investigation of another individual.

Jacobi was sentenced yesterday in U.S. District Court in New Albany. In October, she pleaded guilty in Harrison County Superior Court to felony child molestation, conspiracy to commit child molestation and fondling. She was sentenced to 76 years, with 10 years suspended.

The federal and state sentences will run concurrently.

Jacobi also must register as a sex offender and undergo offender treatment. She also cannot have unsupervised contact with children.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 7:08 pm  Leave a Comment  

Kerry Laurence Himmler – Charged with possession of Child Pornography

FLORENCE – A Lauderdale County man has been charged with more than 60 counts of possession of child pornography.

Officials with the Florence Police Department said 28-year-old Kerry Laurence Himmler, of Elk Village Apartments, Rogersville, has been charged with 64 counts of unlawful possession of obscene material.

Investigators said 62 photos of children under the age of 17 were found on Himmler’s personal computer. Two movies, containing material considered child pornography, also were on the computer.

Authorities said a tip to the police department led them to secure a search warrant of Himmler’s residence, which at the time was an apartment on East Mobile Street in Florence.

Himmler is being held in the Lauderdale County Detention Center on bail totaling $320,000.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 7:06 pm  Leave a Comment  

William Blood – charged with possessing child pornography


An investigation into child pornography has led to the arrest of a Hopewell man. Kenneth William Blood, 57, is charged with possession of child pornography.

Police searched his South Mesa Drive home and seized a computer, camera and other electronics. Blood’s arrest stems from a joint investigation between Hopewell police and the high-technology crime unit of the state police.

Police say the investigation continues.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 7:04 pm  Leave a Comment  

William Blood – charged with possessing child pornography


An investigation into child pornography has led to the arrest of a Hopewell man. Kenneth William Blood, 57, is charged with possession of child pornography.

Police searched his South Mesa Drive home and seized a computer, camera and other electronics. Blood’s arrest stems from a joint investigation between Hopewell police and the high-technology crime unit of the state police.

Police say the investigation continues.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 7:04 pm  Leave a Comment  

John Ryan Johnson – 15 year prison sentence for chil Porn

John Ryan Johnson, who was arrested in Rockport several months ago, has been sentenced to 15 years in prison to be followed by a lifetime term of supervised release for receipt and distribution of child pornography, according to information released by United States Attorney Don DeGabrielle.

Johnson was also ordered to register as a sex offender and participate in sex offender counseling while in prison and upon his release.

Johnson pleaded guilty to receipt and distribution of child pornography between Nov. 3, 2006, and Feb. 9, 2007, in Rockport. The pornographic material included images of a female child less than 12 years of age. In addition, Johnson had more than 13,000 images of child pornography, with numerous images depicting sexual acts performed by adults on very young children.

In sentencing Johnson, the court expressed concern with both the number of images and the depravity of their content, noting law enforcement has an almost impossible task of finding and prosecuting the vast number of individuals involved in this activity. The court also recognized the need to send a message to others interested in child pornography and to protect the most vulnerable members of society, children, from them.

The investigation was conducted by the FBI and the Corpus Christi Police Department with the assistance of the Aransas County Sheriff’s Office and the Rockport Police Department. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Lance Duke.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation. Led by United States Attorneys’ Offices, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as to identify and rescue victims.

For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit http://www.projectsafechildhood.gov.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 6:26 pm  Leave a Comment  

Todd Tenetuik School Employee charged with Child Porn

EDMONTON – A man who worked at a junior high school and volunteered with an agency that cares for children at risk of abuse has been charged with child porn offences, police said Thursday.

Investigators say images and chatroom conversations depicting sexual abuse of children were found on computers at the man’s home in October.

They said there is no indication that the alleged crimes involved L.Y. Cairns Junior High School where he worked as a teacher’s assistant and cook, or Kids Kottage where he did maintenance jobs.

School board and Kids Kottage officials said the man worked for them despite rigorous screening of new employees.

“We can’t look into someone’s heart,” said Judith Dyck, chairwoman of Kids Kottage Foundation.

The man came to the attention of the Northern Alberta Integrated Child Exploitation Unit when they were tipped about a Canadian asking in an online chatroom for people to role-play as a preteen girl for him, said Edmonton police Det. Mark Coates.

A chatroom member reported “inappropriate sexual conversations in relation to prepubescent girls” to the U.S. National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children, which passed it on to its Canadian counterpart in Ottawa, the National Child Exploitation Co-ordination Centre, Coates said.

The children depicted in the images found on hard drives and portable media seized from a southwest Edmonton home haven’t been identified but could come from anywhere, he said.

Staff Sgt. Howard Kunce said police gave the investigation high priority because of the potential risk.

“Even though this collection was not what I would call a large collection, the fact that he was at a school and a volunteer at Kids Kottage obviously bumps up the priority of this particular file,” Kunce said.

“There’s nothing to indicate that there were any offences committed by this individual in the community whether that’s at L.Y. Cairns School, Kids Kottage or in his neighbourhood.”

The man no longer works at L.Y. Cairns or Kids Kottage.

Edmonton Public Schools spokeswoman Jane Farrell said the school sent a letter notifying parents that an employee was charged.

Since 2004, school workers undergo mandatory checks for police records and with Alberta Children’s Services.

For privacy reasons, Farrell would not say if the man had been screened.

Judith Dyck, at Kids Kottage, said the man volunteered as a maintenance man who fixed toilets and replaced light fixtures. The agency houses children for short stays when their families are coping with a crisis and counsels troubled parents.

She said volunteers are monitored by staff, go through criminal record and child welfare checks, are interviewed and must provide reference letters.

Kids Kottage is reviewing its policies and procedures for screening volunteers, Dyck said.

Todd Tenetuik, 40, has been charged with possession of child pornography and transmitting child pornography. He appears in court on Feb. 26.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 6:23 pm  Comments (1)  

James Blaisdell – Charged with Child Porn

NASHUA – A Litchfield man was indicted this week on 10 counts of possession of child pornography.

James Blaisdell, 37, of 267 Derry Road, is scheduled to be arraigned on the charges Jan. 3 in Hillsborough County Superior Court. The indictments state that still and video images of child pornography were found on his computer on July 26, 2006. Each charge carries up to 3-1/2 to seven years in prison.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 6:21 pm  Leave a Comment  

Jack Turner DuFrain – Guilty Child Pornography

A Manassas-area man was sentenced in U.S. District Court this week to more than 12 years in prison for transportation of child pornography.

Jack Turner DuFrain, 60, of 12209 Kahns Road, pleaded guilty in August to the charge.

On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte sentenced him to 12 years and seven months in prison, to be followed by a lifetime of supervised release, according to officials in the United States Attorney for the District of Maryland’s office. Once released DuFrain will not be allowed to have unsupervised contact with minors and will not be allowed to possess a computer without approval from the U.S. Probation office.

According to a plea agreement filed in U.S. district court, DuFrain’s employer in Silver Spring, Md., conducted an internal investigation and found more than 10 still and video images of child pornography stored on his work computer.

The images showed a 12-year-old girl in “sexually explicit poses,” according to the court documents.

The videos still pictures were taken in a shed on his Manassas-area property, officials said.

Backdrops and outfits used in the videos were found during a search of DuFrain’s property in July.

Prosecutors said DuFrain stored the images and videos on a USB flash drive, which he took to his Maryland office, and downloaded them on his work computer.

Also stored on his work computer were digitally altered pictures of the 12-year-old girl. The pictures were altered “to make them more sexually explicit,” officials said. Other pictures were altered to place the face of a 14-year-old girl on sexually explicit images.

The case was brought to U.S. District court as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide effort to prosecute people charged with Internet crimes involving children.

Published in: on December 21, 2007 at 6:19 pm  Leave a Comment