Naperville man charged with possession of child porn

A Naperville man has been charged with four counts of possession of child pornography, police said Tuesday.
Christopher T. Sunryder, 34, was arrested Thursday after a four-month investigation involving the Maryland Internet Crimes Against Children Unit and the Naperville Police Department Computer Crimes Unit, according to Naperville Cmdr. Mike Anders.
Maryland authorities contacted Naperville police after one of their residents reported Sunryder was using a phone sex chat line to try to make arrangements to have sex with a minor.
In September, police executed a search warrant on Sunryder’s residence in Naperville and workplace in Downers Grove and seized personal computers, which led to the recovery of numerous images of child pornography, authorities said.
Naperville Sgt. William Davis said authorities do not believe Sunryder had any contact with minors and no charges will be filed in Maryland.Sunryder was taken to the department’s detention facility, then transferred to DuPage County jail where he posted $5,000 bond.Possession of child pornography is a felony punishable upon conviction by two to five years in prison per count.
Published in: on December 19, 2007 at 10:41 am  Leave a Comment  

Evidence Stays Unsealed In Ayres Molestation Trial

Evidence Stays Unsealed In Ayres Molestation Trial

REDWOOD CITY (BCN) ― Judge John Runde rejected defense motions Monday to suppress evidence in the case of a San Mateo child psychiatrist who is charged with molesting several young patients in the 1990s, and ordered that the case move forward, San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Tuesday.
William Hamilton Ayres, 75, once president of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, faces multiple felony counts of lewd or lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14, for allegedly fondling seven boys between the ages of 9 and 12 who had come to him for counseling between 1991 and 1996. Prosecutors claim there are about 30 other victims whose alleged molestations fall outside the statute of limitations.
During the hearing Runde confirmed that the case would move onto a trial judge, by rejecting motions to suppress information the defense had filed regarding a search warrant issued in 2006, Wagstaffe said. The search warrant allowed authorities to look through Ayres files for the last 20 years and contact other minors to see if they had been victims of molestation as well.
Defense attorney Doron Weinberg moved to suppress information that was provided in an affidavit from then Capt. Mike Callagy of the San Mateo police, now deputy chief. Weinberg stated that it did not support searching through Ayres records.
He also indicated that other sections of the affidavit were incorrect, such as a statement from a psychiatrist stating that a known child molester was likely to continue the practice, Wagstaffe said.
According to Deputy District Attorney Melissa McKowan, former patients of Ayres from the 1960s through the 1980s have also come forward to San Mateo police with abuse allegations. And in 2005, Ayres settled a civil case alleging sexual molestation, McKowan said.

Weinberg has claimed that the accusations by former
patients were likely the result of either a mistake, false memory or
suggestion.

According to authorities, from the 1960s through 2006, Ayres had a thriving practice treating children, and was called upon to evaluate hundreds of cases, including those of sex offenders, in San Mateo County juvenile court. Ayres remains out of custody after posting $750,000 cash bail, and his jury trial is scheduled to start March 10. If convicted, he could face the rest of his life in prison, according to the district attorney’s office.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Published in: on December 19, 2007 at 10:35 am  Leave a Comment  

Evidence Stays Unsealed In Ayres Molestation Trial

Evidence Stays Unsealed In Ayres Molestation Trial

REDWOOD CITY (BCN) ― Judge John Runde rejected defense motions Monday to suppress evidence in the case of a San Mateo child psychiatrist who is charged with molesting several young patients in the 1990s, and ordered that the case move forward, San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Tuesday.
William Hamilton Ayres, 75, once president of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, faces multiple felony counts of lewd or lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14, for allegedly fondling seven boys between the ages of 9 and 12 who had come to him for counseling between 1991 and 1996. Prosecutors claim there are about 30 other victims whose alleged molestations fall outside the statute of limitations.
During the hearing Runde confirmed that the case would move onto a trial judge, by rejecting motions to suppress information the defense had filed regarding a search warrant issued in 2006, Wagstaffe said. The search warrant allowed authorities to look through Ayres files for the last 20 years and contact other minors to see if they had been victims of molestation as well.
Defense attorney Doron Weinberg moved to suppress information that was provided in an affidavit from then Capt. Mike Callagy of the San Mateo police, now deputy chief. Weinberg stated that it did not support searching through Ayres records.
He also indicated that other sections of the affidavit were incorrect, such as a statement from a psychiatrist stating that a known child molester was likely to continue the practice, Wagstaffe said.
According to Deputy District Attorney Melissa McKowan, former patients of Ayres from the 1960s through the 1980s have also come forward to San Mateo police with abuse allegations. And in 2005, Ayres settled a civil case alleging sexual molestation, McKowan said.

Weinberg has claimed that the accusations by former
patients were likely the result of either a mistake, false memory or
suggestion.

According to authorities, from the 1960s through 2006, Ayres had a thriving practice treating children, and was called upon to evaluate hundreds of cases, including those of sex offenders, in San Mateo County juvenile court. Ayres remains out of custody after posting $750,000 cash bail, and his jury trial is scheduled to start March 10. If convicted, he could face the rest of his life in prison, according to the district attorney’s office.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte

Published in: on December 19, 2007 at 10:35 am  Leave a Comment  

Evidence Stays Unsealed In Ayres Molestation Trial

Evidence Stays Unsealed In Ayres Molestation Trial

REDWOOD CITY (BCN) ― Judge John Runde rejected defense motions Monday to suppress evidence in the case of a San Mateo child psychiatrist who is charged with molesting several young patients in the 1990s, and ordered that the case move forward, San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Tuesday.
William Hamilton Ayres, 75, once president of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, faces multiple felony counts of lewd or lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14, for allegedly fondling seven boys between the ages of 9 and 12 who had come to him for counseling between 1991 and 1996. Prosecutors claim there are about 30 other victims whose alleged molestations fall outside the statute of limitations.
During the hearing Runde confirmed that the case would move onto a trial judge, by rejecting motions to suppress information the defense had filed regarding a search warrant issued in 2006, Wagstaffe said. The search warrant allowed authorities to look through Ayres files for the last 20 years and contact other minors to see if they had been victims of molestation as well.
Defense attorney Doron Weinberg moved to suppress information that was provided in an affidavit from then Capt. Mike Callagy of the San Mateo police, now deputy chief. Weinberg stated that it did not support searching through Ayres records.
He also indicated that other sections of the affidavit were incorrect, such as a statement from a psychiatrist stating that a known child molester was likely to continue the practice, Wagstaffe said.
According to Deputy District Attorney Melissa McKowan, former patients of Ayres from the 1960s through the 1980s have also come forward to San Mateo police with abuse allegations. And in 2005, Ayres settled a civil case alleging sexual molestation, McKowan said.

Weinberg has claimed that the accusations by former
patients were likely the result of either a mistake, false memory or
suggestion.

According to authorities, from the 1960s through 2006, Ayres had a thriving practice treating children, and was called upon to evaluate hundreds of cases, including those of sex offenders, in San Mateo County juvenile court. Ayres remains out of custody after posting $750,000 cash bail, and his jury trial is scheduled to start March 10. If convicted, he could face the rest of his life in prison, according to the district attorney’s office.
Published in: on December 19, 2007 at 10:35 am  Comments (1)  

RSO -Back To Jail

VERO BEACH — A registered sex offender is back in jail without bail on a charge of soliciting to commit sexual battery on a child younger than 12, according to the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office.

Timothy Wayne Carver, 47, of the 300 block of 27th Avenue Southwest in Vero Beach, was in an America Online chat room known as “openmindedparents” when he instant messaged an undercover St. Lucie County officer asking about his 11-year-old daughter, according to the arrest affadavit.

Carver and the officer also spoke on the telephone and arranged to meet so Carver could pay money in exchange for time with the fictitious girl, the report said.
He told officers he had fantasies about sex with children but didn’t plan on going through with having sex with the 11-year-old, according to the report.

Carver, who is being held in the St. Lucie County Jail, was convicted in 1990 for lewd and lascivious acts on a child younger than 16.

“25% of all sex offenders re-offend within 15 years”
………Sarah Tofte
Published in: on December 19, 2007 at 10:30 am  Leave a Comment  

A REGISTERED sex offender was found driving a limousine packed with partygoers during a crackdown on rogue operators.

Eight of the stretch vehicles were stopped by police for checks as they rolled into Blackpool for the Christmas Tree Ball at the Tower, with five found to be unroadworthy.

Now festive revellers are being warned to check the credentials when booking a limo to avoid being taken for a ride by unscrupulous owners.

Blackpool Council’s senior licensing officer Ted Rhodes said: “The licensing authorities appreciate that it’s nice to be a star for the night, but there are very serious implications for anyone using an incorrectly licensed or unlicensed vehicle.

Risk

“One scary result of the operation last Saturday was that one of the vehicles was owned and being driven by a male chauffeur on the sex offenders’ register.

“The potential risk to lone or vulnerable females cannot be overstated. Five of the limousines had mechanical defects so severe to merit prohibition by the ministry examiners.”

Mr Rhodes added: “The exercise conducted last Saturday will not be the last one and it’s fairly straightforward to monitor events both locally and county-wide which are likely to attract stretch limos.”

Currently, a loophole in the law means limousines can operate without being licensed by their local authority in the same way that taxi drivers are.

All owners have to do is issue a seven-day contract to anyone hiring their vehicle to avoid going through a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check and vehicle inspections.

The Government is closing the loophole in the law from January 28, meaning all operators will then have to have licences.

Drivers will have to be CRB-checked and undertake a medical examination and vehicles will be subject to the same strict inspection regime as private hire taxis.

The crackdown last Saturday saw limos stopped by the police in Blackpool and taken to the Rig
by Road depot for testing by Government inspectors. Passengers were dropped off at their destination with the operators having to make alternative arrangements, if necessary, for their journeys home.

A number of prosecutions are now pending.

Two cars belonging to Fylde-based Jet Set Limousines were stopped as part of the crackdown, but both emerged with a clean bill of health. Managing director Kevin Hinds said he welcomed the decision to tighten up the rules on limo operators.

He said: “We market ourselves as the company that people can trust.

“If you’re not licensed properly, then who is checking your chauffeurs? Not just criminally but medically as well.

“The general public would be stunned to find that there are many unlicensed operators listed in the Yellow Pages.”

People are advised to log on to http://www.nlca.co.uk for advice about how to choose a reputable operator.

Published in: on December 19, 2007 at 9:28 am  Leave a Comment