‘Predator’ jailed for life

A ‘SEXUAL predator’ who subjected a woman to a depraved ordeal in his pub has been sentenced to life in prison.

Following a trial at Bolton Crown Court, bar manager Richard Salt was found guilty of raping and sexually assaulting the 19-year-old student as well as perverting the course of justice.

Salt was also found not guilty of raping and spiking the drink of a 40-year-old woman in March last year.

On Monday he was sentenced to life with a recommendation to serve at least 14 years as he was deemed to be a serious threat to women.

The court heard how Salt, aged 36, of Edenfield Road, Norden, had assaulted his victim – now 20 – in June 2006 after plying her with drink at the Lancashire Lass pub on Edenfield Road.

She was also suffering from the effects of cocaine, which the judge agreed had been administered without her knowledge, though the jury ruled Salt was not responsible.

Chilling CCTV stills shown during the two-week trial revealed Salt had watched his victim become more and more helpless.

When she was virtually comatose, he sexually assaulted her before raping her in the toilets.

Addressing Salt, the judge, Stephen Everett, said: “Such cold and calculating behaviour is hard to believe.

“It’s something, in my reasonably long experience as a barrister and a judge, I have never come across.”

The victim raised the alarm the next day but, when police approached Salt, he showed them only part of the CCTV footage, which he claimed showed the victim consenting to sex.

The full, damning footage would later lead to his conviction but, in the meantime, his victim was left suffering from the devastating consequences of the attack.

Reading from an impact statement, prosecutor Alaric Bassano said the woman had felt unable to go out and had even suffered a panic attack on one occasion.

He said: “One of the worst things she feels is that she has to lie to her friends about what happened because she does not feel able to confide in them.”

Defending, Stephen Meadowcroft appealed to the judge to impose a less severe sentence, stating Salt had been cleared by jury of a second count of rape against the student and spiking her drink.

Mr Meadowcroft claimed

Salt had also been drunk and the victim had appeared to be ‘playful’ with the defendant before the assault.

He expressed fears for his client in prison because he suffers from the inflammatory bowel condition, Crohn’s disease.

But, addressing Salt as he announced his sentence, Mr Everett said: “I have read various letters from family and friends that suggest there is another side to your character.

“But I saw the true side of your character on the CCTV footage.

“You treated that young woman like a piece of meat.”

He added: “You have portrayed yourself like a victim but there was only one victim here.

“Your family are devastated because they have lost a close family member and I can feel sorry for them but I have no sympathy for you.”

Deeming Salt a threat to the public he imposed the life sentence, with the opportunity for parole only after seven years.

He has also been placed on the sexual offenders’ register for life.

The sentence was welcomed by Detective Chief Inspector Jeff McMahon, head of Rochdale CID.

He said: “Justice has been done.

“It is very rare to receive a life sentence for rape but the judge felt it was apt in this case.

“It will mean that other women will now be safe from Richard Salt.”

He added: “I would like to pay tribute to both the victim, who was brave enough to come forward, and the team led by Detective Sergeant Alan Brown which brought Salt to justice.”

Detective Sergeant Alan Brown said: “Salt can only be regarded as a sexual predator.

“This sentence clearly reflects the danger he presents to society.

“I would also like to thank a prosecution witness who also came forward and provided invaluable evidence which illustrated the defendant’s propensity to commit this type of offence.”

Salt will serve a minimum of seven years before he is eligible for parole.

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 6:17 pm  Leave a Comment  

‘Predator’ jailed for life

A ‘SEXUAL predator’ who subjected a woman to a depraved ordeal in his pub has been sentenced to life in prison.

Following a trial at Bolton Crown Court, bar manager Richard Salt was found guilty of raping and sexually assaulting the 19-year-old student as well as perverting the course of justice.

Salt was also found not guilty of raping and spiking the drink of a 40-year-old woman in March last year.

On Monday he was sentenced to life with a recommendation to serve at least 14 years as he was deemed to be a serious threat to women.

The court heard how Salt, aged 36, of Edenfield Road, Norden, had assaulted his victim – now 20 – in June 2006 after plying her with drink at the Lancashire Lass pub on Edenfield Road.

She was also suffering from the effects of cocaine, which the judge agreed had been administered without her knowledge, though the jury ruled Salt was not responsible.

Chilling CCTV stills shown during the two-week trial revealed Salt had watched his victim become more and more helpless.

When she was virtually comatose, he sexually assaulted her before raping her in the toilets.

Addressing Salt, the judge, Stephen Everett, said: “Such cold and calculating behaviour is hard to believe.

“It’s something, in my reasonably long experience as a barrister and a judge, I have never come across.”

The victim raised the alarm the next day but, when police approached Salt, he showed them only part of the CCTV footage, which he claimed showed the victim consenting to sex.

The full, damning footage would later lead to his conviction but, in the meantime, his victim was left suffering from the devastating consequences of the attack.

Reading from an impact statement, prosecutor Alaric Bassano said the woman had felt unable to go out and had even suffered a panic attack on one occasion.

He said: “One of the worst things she feels is that she has to lie to her friends about what happened because she does not feel able to confide in them.”

Defending, Stephen Meadowcroft appealed to the judge to impose a less severe sentence, stating Salt had been cleared by jury of a second count of rape against the student and spiking her drink.

Mr Meadowcroft claimed

Salt had also been drunk and the victim had appeared to be ‘playful’ with the defendant before the assault.

He expressed fears for his client in prison because he suffers from the inflammatory bowel condition, Crohn’s disease.

But, addressing Salt as he announced his sentence, Mr Everett said: “I have read various letters from family and friends that suggest there is another side to your character.

“But I saw the true side of your character on the CCTV footage.

“You treated that young woman like a piece of meat.”

He added: “You have portrayed yourself like a victim but there was only one victim here.

“Your family are devastated because they have lost a close family member and I can feel sorry for them but I have no sympathy for you.”

Deeming Salt a threat to the public he imposed the life sentence, with the opportunity for parole only after seven years.

He has also been placed on the sexual offenders’ register for life.

The sentence was welcomed by Detective Chief Inspector Jeff McMahon, head of Rochdale CID.

He said: “Justice has been done.

“It is very rare to receive a life sentence for rape but the judge felt it was apt in this case.

“It will mean that other women will now be safe from Richard Salt.”

He added: “I would like to pay tribute to both the victim, who was brave enough to come forward, and the team led by Detective Sergeant Alan Brown which brought Salt to justice.”

Detective Sergeant Alan Brown said: “Salt can only be regarded as a sexual predator.

“This sentence clearly reflects the danger he presents to society.

“I would also like to thank a prosecution witness who also came forward and provided invaluable evidence which illustrated the defendant’s propensity to commit this type of offence.”

Salt will serve a minimum of seven years before he is eligible for parole.

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 6:17 pm  Leave a Comment  

Sexual predator convicted again

A 38-year-old sexual predator was found guilty of attempted rape and criminal child enticement Friday in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court.

Jimmy L. Carter of Garfield Heights was sentenced to 18 years to life in prison, said Ryan Miday, spokesman for Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Bill Mason.

On Aug. 28, Carter tried to lure a 12-year-old girl into his car in Garfield Heights.

When he was arrested, police found rope and a knife in the vehicle, Miday said.

Carter previously served 15 years in prison for rape and sexual battery in Cleveland in 1991, according to the Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s registry of sexual offenders.

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 5:49 pm  Leave a Comment  

Child molester sentenced to 10 years in prison

Carmel church elder who admitted molesting girl at his home shows no remorse in court

Terry Van Gorp, a former elder at College Park Church in Carmel who pleaded guilty to child molestation charges last month, showed no remorse as he was sentenced to 10 years in prison Thursday.

During the sentencing, Hamilton Superior Court Judge Steve Nation said Van Gorp, 59, admitted to viewing child pornography one to two hours at a time, once or twice a week since 1998, but

he didn’t think it was a problem. He also said he didn’t view the exploited children in the pornographic videos as victims.


“How he can be viewing the pornography and not see that as a problem caused me concern,” Nation said Friday. “He couldn’t understand that those children were victimized as much as the child was in this case.”

Van Gorp offered a brief apology to the victim’s family but showed complete lack of remorse for his actions, the judge said.

Van Gorp’s attitude was “it’s something that just happened, he’s asked for forgiveness, now we’re moving on,” Nation said.
“He didn’t have any emotion,” the victim’s father said Friday. “He faced us, said he was sorry and sat back down. (My wife) cried and cried, but he and his wife just sat there with no emotion whatsoever.”


The Indianapolis Star generally does not name victims of sexual assault.
Van Gorp was arrested in June 2006 after he admitted to family and other church members that he had molested the child at his home in February 2006.

On Nov. 13, Van Gorp pleaded guilty to a Class A felony charge of child molesting. Prosecutors dropped two other felony charges of child molestation in exchange.
Nation sentenced Van Gorp to 15 years, with 10 to be served in prison and five on probation.

After Van Gorp is released from prison, he will have to register as a sex offender and complete a court-approved sex offender treatment program. He will not be allowed to contact the victim, travel alone after 10 p.m. or use a computer with Internet access without permission from his probation officer.

The child’s family left the College Park congregation after church leaders encouraged parishioners to rally around Van Gorp. The church also provided financial assistance to Van Gorp and his wife, Barb, a former receptionist at the church.

Joe Rice, administrative pastor for College Park, said the church offered assistance to the victim’s family as well. The family said it received an unsolicited check for $1,000.

Nation believes the structure of Van Gorp’s probation will keep other children safe once he’s released from prison. The victim’s family isn’t so sure.

“He deserves so much more (time in prison),” the victim’s father said. “But we didn’t want to have to put (the victim) through testifying in front of him again, when she had nightmares after the first time.”

Nation said the only other option he had was to reject the entire plea and force the victim, now 5, to testify against Van Gorp.

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 5:24 pm  Leave a Comment  

Repeat Sex Offender Sentenced To 265 Years In Jail

A man convicted of kidnapping and sexually assaulting two 6-year-old girls has been sentenced to more than 200 years in state prison in Los Angeles.

Michael Terry Ward was sentenced to multiple life terms totaling 265 years.

Ward was convicted last month of nine felony charges, including kidnapping and aggravated sexual assault. He maintained his innocence and pleaded with the judge for leniency.

Ward’s DNA profile matched DNA evidence that was recovered during the investigation.

Ward is a registered sex offender, with a 1983 sexual assault conviction in Ventura County. He was sentenced to 16 years in prison for that crime.

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 4:52 pm  Leave a Comment  

Repeat Sex Offender Sentenced To 265 Years In Jail

A man convicted of kidnapping and sexually assaulting two 6-year-old girls has been sentenced to more than 200 years in state prison in Los Angeles.

Michael Terry Ward was sentenced to multiple life terms totaling 265 years.

Ward was convicted last month of nine felony charges, including kidnapping and aggravated sexual assault. He maintained his innocence and pleaded with the judge for leniency.

Ward’s DNA profile matched DNA evidence that was recovered during the investigation.

Ward is a registered sex offender, with a 1983 sexual assault conviction in Ventura County. He was sentenced to 16 years in prison for that crime.

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 4:52 pm  Leave a Comment  

Molestation of boy admitted

A man with a previous child molesting conviction admitted Friday to molesting a 5-year-old boy this year.

Thomas M. Lee II, 30, pleaded guilty to a single charge of child molesting, admitting to performing sex acts on a young boy when the child was at his home.

The boy told investigators Lee did “nasty things” to him when he visited his house on numerous occasions between December 2006 and July 2007, according to court documents.

If an Allen County judge accepts the plea agreement, an additional charge of child molesting will be dropped. As part of the agreement, his prison sentence would be capped at 30 years, according to testimony Friday. The conviction carries a sentence of 20 to 50 years.

Lee was convicted of child molesting in Vanderburgh County in 1999, according to the Indiana Sex Offender registry.

He will be sentenced Jan. 7.

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 4:31 pm  Leave a Comment  

Rape suspect listed as sex offender

A Wilkes-Barre man arrested Thursday by Fairview Township police on charges he sexually assaulted a woman in November is listed as a registered sex offender with state police.

Bruce Wayne Miller, 31, of Hillside Street, served eight years and four months, according to the state Department of Corrections, of a 5-to-10 year sentence imposed by a Luzerne County judge in February 1996.

Miller, then 19, had pleaded no contest to two 1993 rapes of a 12-year-old girl in Hunlock Township and a 22-year-old woman in Wilkes-Barre.

Miller raped the two females a month apart and both at knifepoint, according to The Times Leader archives.

Miller was released from state prison on June 25, 2004, and was ordered under the state’s Megan’s Law to register his address with state police for 10 years.

Fairview Township police arrested Miller on Thursday after a woman claimed he raped her inside her Mountain Top home on Nov. 17. He was charged with rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and sexual assault.

Miller was released from the Luzerne County Correctional Facility after posting $15,000 bail on Thursday.

According to the criminal complaint filed by Detective Sgt. Phillip Holbrook and officers John Robshaw and Kevin Stahley:

The woman claimed Miller arrived at her home and the two went to Lispi’s Lounge in Plains Township where they drank beer with friends. She said Miller gave her three Oxycontin tablets that she ingested.

After leaving the lounge at 2 a.m., the two ate at a Wilkes-Barre Township restaurant and stopped at a department store where she purchased a few items. Miller drove the woman home and the two sat on separate couches.

The woman said she told Miller to leave because she wanted to go to bed. He refused, saying he was too drunk to drive.

Miller pulled the woman onto the floor, where she claimed he punched her before and after he sexually assaulted her, the criminal complaint says.

Police said Miller left behind evidence on the carpet, in a trash can and on the woman’s clothing.

Miller denied he gave the woman any prescription medications and said the sex was consensual. He claimed she helped moved a table before they had sex. He also claimed they both fell asleep after having sex.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 13 in Central Court.

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 4:02 pm  Comments (1)  

Should child molesters be around children?

Should an adult guilty of even one
instance of sexually touching a child
ever be allowed to have a family and
live with children again?

YES 19%

NO 81%

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 4:02 pm  Leave a Comment  

Rape suspect listed as sex offender

A Wilkes-Barre man arrested Thursday by Fairview Township police on charges he sexually assaulted a woman in November is listed as a registered sex offender with state police.

Bruce Wayne Miller, 31, of Hillside Street, served eight years and four months, according to the state Department of Corrections, of a 5-to-10 year sentence imposed by a Luzerne County judge in February 1996.

Miller, then 19, had pleaded no contest to two 1993 rapes of a 12-year-old girl in Hunlock Township and a 22-year-old woman in Wilkes-Barre.

Miller raped the two females a month apart and both at knifepoint, according to The Times Leader archives.

Miller was released from state prison on June 25, 2004, and was ordered under the state’s Megan’s Law to register his address with state police for 10 years.

Fairview Township police arrested Miller on Thursday after a woman claimed he raped her inside her Mountain Top home on Nov. 17. He was charged with rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and sexual assault.

Miller was released from the Luzerne County Correctional Facility after posting $15,000 bail on Thursday.

According to the criminal complaint filed by Detective Sgt. Phillip Holbrook and officers John Robshaw and Kevin Stahley:

The woman claimed Miller arrived at her home and the two went to Lispi’s Lounge in Plains Township where they drank beer with friends. She said Miller gave her three Oxycontin tablets that she ingested.

After leaving the lounge at 2 a.m., the two ate at a Wilkes-Barre Township restaurant and stopped at a department store where she purchased a few items. Miller drove the woman home and the two sat on separate couches.

The woman said she told Miller to leave because she wanted to go to bed. He refused, saying he was too drunk to drive.

Miller pulled the woman onto the floor, where she claimed he punched her before and after he sexually assaulted her, the criminal complaint says.

Police said Miller left behind evidence on the carpet, in a trash can and on the woman’s clothing.

Miller denied he gave the woman any prescription medications and said the sex was consensual. He claimed she helped moved a table before they had sex. He also claimed they both fell asleep after having sex.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 13 in Central Court.

Published in: on December 9, 2007 at 4:02 pm  Leave a Comment