Army Recruiter Facing Child Porn Charges

Jonesboro police arrested an Army recruiter they say tried to solicit sex from a 16-year-old girl he met during a high school visit.

Greggory John DeBoer, 28, is charged with felony possession of child pornography, though police said he could soon face other charges.

The girl said she met DeBoer during a recruiting trip to her school in October and that the two began communicating by phone and the Internet the following day, Jonesboro police detective Ernest Ward wrote in an affidavit.

She said DeBoer asked her for photographs of herself, first clothed and then nude, and later asked her several times to meet for sex, but she refused, Ward wrote.

Police seized three computers and three cell phones during searches of DeBoer’s home and office, Ward said. Two of the phones and a laptop computer were government property, he said.

The child pornography charge stems from a nude photograph of the girl found on one of DeBoer’s computers, police said.

DeBoer is due back in court in January, when he is expected to enter a plea.

At his hearing Wednesday, DeBoer said he planned to hire an attorney. Jonesboro police Detective David McDaniel said Thursday he did not know whether DeBoer had hired one.

If convicted, DeBoer could face five to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000. A judge also issued a no-contact order on DeBoer, preventing him from contacting the girl.

DeBoer told officers he had been in the Army for 9 1/2 years, two of those in Jonesboro, Ward wrote. DeBoer is married and a father, and has no prior criminal record, Ward said.

Published in: on November 22, 2007 at 7:39 pm  Leave a Comment  

Pilot indicted on federal child sex charges

A 47-year-old pilot already charged with nine felony counts of child sex crimes in state court was indicted Wednesday on four federal charges.

Weldon Marc Gilbert of Lake Tapps was charged with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor in the production of child pornography and one count of transportation of a minor to engage in illegal sexual activity.

The first three charges allege Gilbert sexually abused three boys in Pierce County and videotaped the abuse between 2001 and this year. The fourth alleges Gilbert took one of the boys to Canada, where he molested him in 2005 and videotaped it.

Gilbert was arrested last month after two brothers accused him of abusing them in his home. Investigators who served a search warrant at the house said they found dozens of videotapes and DVDs documenting the alleged abuse, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

FBI agents arrested Gilbert last week after he posted $1.5 million bail on the state charges. He has been held in the federal detention center at SeaTac since then. Gilbert has pleaded not guilty to the state charges. He is to be arraigned on the federal counts Wednesday.

Published in: on November 22, 2007 at 7:33 pm  Leave a Comment  

Swiss accused pedophile arrested in Haiti

A Swiss man wanted in his country for sexually molesting children was arrested in Haiti late Tuesday, local police said.

“An international warrant had been issued for this Swiss citizen … who had lived in Haiti for numerous years,” a police official said.

Haitian police did not identify the man, who was arrested in a liquor store not far from Port-au-Prince by a team accompanied by a Swiss police agent.

The man was being held by Haitian authorities and was expected to be turned over to Swiss officials for repatriation to Switzerland, a Haitian officer said, adding that he was not sure if the two countries had an extradition treaty.

Published in: on November 22, 2007 at 6:26 pm  Leave a Comment  

Sex offender offered girls a lift

A convicted sex offender made suggestive remarks to four teenage girls before offering them a lift, a court has heard.

Mathew MacLeman, 20, admitted placing the four females in a state of fear in Inverness in April.

The offences were committed in a variety of locations across the city.

Sheriff Derek Pyle deferred sentence on MacLeman for a year after hearing he was already on probation and was attending a sex offenders’ project.

The court was told that on 21 April this year at Drynie Avenue MacLeman repeatedly offered a 15-year-old girl a lift, made suggestive remarks and placed her in a state of fear and alarm.

On April 24 he approached another 15-year-old girl on Temple Crescent. He also offered her a lift, asked how old she was and told her she was beautiful.

On the same day he approached a 16-year-old girl on Culduthel Road and offered her a lift and made suggestive remarks.

Just minutes later he approached a 13-year-old girl in Broadstone Park and offered her a lift.

Earlier this month, MacLeman, from Inverness, was sentenced at Dingwall Sheriff Court to 200 hours of community service after he admitted indecently assaulting a girl while she waited for her school bus on the Black Isle.

Published in: on November 22, 2007 at 4:47 pm  Leave a Comment  

Sexual predator cruised streets for girls needing a lift home

For a year, a sexual predator cruised central Christchurch’s early morning streets looking for solitary girls who needed a ride home.

Layton John Thorne would offer them lifts but he admits his motive was to find sex partners for the night.

His plan eventually went awry twice and he stood ashamed at the Christchurch District Court as Judge Michael Crosbie jailed him for eight years and three months.

The judge acknowledged Thorne’s two teenage victims in the courtroom, telling the 31-year-old predator: “Both of them should feel no blame or shame about what occurred because all of the blame and all of theshame rests with you.”

One dived out of Thorne’s car as he drove it along Wainoni Road at about 50km/h.

Thorne raped the other one in the car at Waimairi Beach seven months later. A jury found him guilty of attempting to kidnap the first young woman, and he then pleaded guilty to raping the second one, before the second trial began a week later.

Both young women had been picked up in the central city as late as 5.30am.

“It is an increasingly common theme to see young women who have been picked up in the early hours of the morning when they are often looking for ways to get home, and they are taken advantage of,” the judge said.

“If any good comes out of this process, I hope it is a salutary reminder to those in our community that they must always be watchful for those who seek and prey on those who appear vulnerable or drunk or in needof a hand.”

He said one young woman had been left permanently scarred by the grazes she received when she dived from the moving car.

She was now nervous, worried, and uncomfortable around strangers and found it difficult to trust people.

The other 19-year-old woman had been raped and had been worried about the possibility of pregnancy or sexual transmitted disease.

She had since felt disgusted, sad, lonely and emotional. She had horrific nightmares and flashbacks, and was mistrustful.

“You have significantly and violently and grossly affected the lives of two young women who will never forget what you did to them,” the judge said.

Defence counsel Stephen Hembrow said Thorne was remorseful and expressed his apologies to the victims and their families.

Published in: on November 22, 2007 at 3:19 pm  Leave a Comment  

Sexual predator cruised streets for girls needing a lift home

For a year, a sexual predator cruised central Christchurch’s early morning streets looking for solitary girls who needed a ride home.

Layton John Thorne would offer them lifts but he admits his motive was to find sex partners for the night.

His plan eventually went awry twice and he stood ashamed at the Christchurch District Court as Judge Michael Crosbie jailed him for eight years and three months.

The judge acknowledged Thorne’s two teenage victims in the courtroom, telling the 31-year-old predator: “Both of them should feel no blame or shame about what occurred because all of the blame and all of theshame rests with you.”

One dived out of Thorne’s car as he drove it along Wainoni Road at about 50km/h.

Thorne raped the other one in the car at Waimairi Beach seven months later. A jury found him guilty of attempting to kidnap the first young woman, and he then pleaded guilty to raping the second one, before the second trial began a week later.

Both young women had been picked up in the central city as late as 5.30am.

“It is an increasingly common theme to see young women who have been picked up in the early hours of the morning when they are often looking for ways to get home, and they are taken advantage of,” the judge said.

“If any good comes out of this process, I hope it is a salutary reminder to those in our community that they must always be watchful for those who seek and prey on those who appear vulnerable or drunk or in needof a hand.”

He said one young woman had been left permanently scarred by the grazes she received when she dived from the moving car.

She was now nervous, worried, and uncomfortable around strangers and found it difficult to trust people.

The other 19-year-old woman had been raped and had been worried about the possibility of pregnancy or sexual transmitted disease.

She had since felt disgusted, sad, lonely and emotional. She had horrific nightmares and flashbacks, and was mistrustful.

“You have significantly and violently and grossly affected the lives of two young women who will never forget what you did to them,” the judge said.

Defence counsel Stephen Hembrow said Thorne was remorseful and expressed his apologies to the victims and their families.

Published in: on November 22, 2007 at 3:19 pm  Leave a Comment