Child Molester Sentenced To 6 Years


A 77-year-old man was sentenced to six years in prison in Superior Court 1 on Thursday morning after pleading guilty to child molesting.

Joseph P. Sellers of Michigan City pleaded guilty to one count of Class C felony child molesting. His victim was between 9 and 13 years of age at the time of the incidents, according to court documents.

Before sentencing, Sellers had been on predispositional probation during which time he complied with all the rules of probation.

Judge Kathleen Lang noted in her sentencing that although Sellers has no criminal history and he has publicly expressed remorse, his behavior was egregious.

She also said a psycho-sexual evaluation concluded that Sellers “is at a low risk to re-offend,” because of the influence and position of trust with the victim and her family.

As a result of the plea, Sellers will have the last two years of the six-year sentence he received suspended and served on probation.

Lang also ruled that he may also file a petition for a sentence modification after serving two years, providing that he proves his conduct during this time has been “without blemish and without disciplinary action of any kind.”

Sellers was given credit for 42 days served and ordered to pay court c

Published in: on November 2, 2007 at 5:30 pm  Leave a Comment  

Child Molester Sentenced To 6 Years


A 77-year-old man was sentenced to six years in prison in Superior Court 1 on Thursday morning after pleading guilty to child molesting.

Joseph P. Sellers of Michigan City pleaded guilty to one count of Class C felony child molesting. His victim was between 9 and 13 years of age at the time of the incidents, according to court documents.

Before sentencing, Sellers had been on predispositional probation during which time he complied with all the rules of probation.

Judge Kathleen Lang noted in her sentencing that although Sellers has no criminal history and he has publicly expressed remorse, his behavior was egregious.

She also said a psycho-sexual evaluation concluded that Sellers “is at a low risk to re-offend,” because of the influence and position of trust with the victim and her family.

As a result of the plea, Sellers will have the last two years of the six-year sentence he received suspended and served on probation.

Lang also ruled that he may also file a petition for a sentence modification after serving two years, providing that he proves his conduct during this time has been “without blemish and without disciplinary action of any kind.”

Sellers was given credit for 42 days served and ordered to pay court c

Published in: on November 2, 2007 at 5:30 pm  Leave a Comment  

Child Molester Sentenced To 6 Years


A 77-year-old man was sentenced to six years in prison in Superior Court 1 on Thursday morning after pleading guilty to child molesting.

Joseph P. Sellers of Michigan City pleaded guilty to one count of Class C felony child molesting. His victim was between 9 and 13 years of age at the time of the incidents, according to court documents.

Before sentencing, Sellers had been on predispositional probation during which time he complied with all the rules of probation.

Judge Kathleen Lang noted in her sentencing that although Sellers has no criminal history and he has publicly expressed remorse, his behavior was egregious.

She also said a psycho-sexual evaluation concluded that Sellers “is at a low risk to re-offend,” because of the influence and position of trust with the victim and her family.

As a result of the plea, Sellers will have the last two years of the six-year sentence he received suspended and served on probation.

Lang also ruled that he may also file a petition for a sentence modification after serving two years, providing that he proves his conduct during this time has been “without blemish and without disciplinary action of any kind.”

Sellers was given credit for 42 days served and ordered to pay court c

Published in: on November 2, 2007 at 5:30 pm  Leave a Comment  

Convicted pedophile charged with assault on child

A former Oshawa soccer coach convicted of molesting a child 10 years ago is facing new charges of sexual assault.

Mark Dodsley, 39, of Oshawa, was arrested Wednesday by York Police, who allege he sexually assaulted a nine-year-old Aurora boy at the child’s home on a number of occasions between June 2001 and December 2002. He’s been charged with sexual assault, sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching.

Mr. Dodsley was released on $40,000 bail following a hearing in Newmarket Thursday, said York police Detective Dan Fowler. He’s been placed on house arrest and is only allowed out in the company of his surety and has been ordered not to be in the company of anyone under 18 or to frequent areas where children may congregate.

A publication ban has been placed on details of the allegations.

Mr. Dodsley was busted in May 1997 by a Durham officer who found him in a car with a young player in south Oshawa. He was convicted of sexual assault and sentenced to a jail term in 1999.

Published in: on November 2, 2007 at 4:33 pm  Leave a Comment  

Convicted pedophile charged with assault on child

A former Oshawa soccer coach convicted of molesting a child 10 years ago is facing new charges of sexual assault.

Mark Dodsley, 39, of Oshawa, was arrested Wednesday by York Police, who allege he sexually assaulted a nine-year-old Aurora boy at the child’s home on a number of occasions between June 2001 and December 2002. He’s been charged with sexual assault, sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching.

Mr. Dodsley was released on $40,000 bail following a hearing in Newmarket Thursday, said York police Detective Dan Fowler. He’s been placed on house arrest and is only allowed out in the company of his surety and has been ordered not to be in the company of anyone under 18 or to frequent areas where children may congregate.

A publication ban has been placed on details of the allegations.

Mr. Dodsley was busted in May 1997 by a Durham officer who found him in a car with a young player in south Oshawa. He was convicted of sexual assault and sentenced to a jail term in 1999.

Published in: on November 2, 2007 at 4:33 pm  Leave a Comment  

Thailand wants accused pedophile back

Thailand says it wants an accused pedophile extradited from Canada to face charges of sexually assaulting a Thai boy, but a lawyer says this country rarely extradites Canadians there.

Orville Frank Mader, 54, was arrested after arriving at Vancouver International Airport on Thursday on charges he sexually abused a young boy in Thailand.

Thai police officials have told The Canadian Press that Mader, originally from Kitchener, Ont., would soon be returned overseas to face charges. However a spokesman at the Department of Justice in Vancouver said Canada has not yet received a formal extradition request.

When and if it does, lawyer Kevin McCullough speculated the Thais may not get Mader back as fast as they’d like.

McCullough represented Canadian Michael Karas, who was wanted in Thailand on charges he murdered his Thai wife.

McCullough argued in 2001, among other things, that his client should not be extradited because of what he said was the Thai government’s shoddy record on human rights.

McCullough lost and further court arguments followed, but McCullough said Friday that Karas is still in Canada.

More well-known are the repeated attempts by Thailand officials to extradite Rakesh Saxena, a fugitive Thai banker who has been in Vancouver fighting to stay in Canada since 1996.

He is accused of looting a Bangkok bank but has argued he will be killed if returned to his home country.

Saxena has mostly been under house arrest while he launches appeal after appeal of orders to deport him.

“Canada has never surrendered a soul to Thailand, in spite of people being extradited,” said McCullough. “I don’t think there’s an issue that Amnesty and other groups see them as having a problem.

“Although we here in Canada would hope that all countries would be as just as we are and hold justice as we do so importantly, it’s clear that Thailand has developed an international reputation as a place with some problems in the criminal justice system.”

Mader’s arrest came just one day after police in the Thai beach resort town of Pattaya issued a warrant for him.

Published in: on November 2, 2007 at 4:30 pm  Leave a Comment  

Man claimed the girl forced herself onto him

Alfred Hennebert, 38, from near Barnesville, Ohio, was sentenced Friday to life in prison plus five years for gross sexual imposition and rape.

Hennebert’s victim was just 9 years old.

According to court reports, Hennebert claimed it was the girl who forced herself onto him.

Eventually, Hennebert pled guilty to the crimes through a remorseful letter to the judge.

Belmont County Judge John Solovan told Hennebert that his serious drug and alcohol abuse, aimless lifestyle and his lack of concern for the child led to the life sentence.

The judge added, the girl suffered serious emotional harm.

Published in: on November 2, 2007 at 7:21 am  Leave a Comment